Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover cat & mouse game ends w/$5000 CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover cat & mouse game ends w/$5000 CLI

Some of you may have seen the thread I started about a month ago regarding the cat and mouse game I've been playing with a [$500] Discover CLI.  For those that haven't, you can read about it here:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Discover-CLI-on-table-for-2-months-removed...

To summarize, back in April or so (3 months after my last Discover CLI in January) when requesting a Discover CLI online, I was offered $500.  Having always accepted whatever was offered prior, this time I declined it.  After declining it, many times (basically weekly) over the course of the next 2 months I continued to request a CLI, always seeing that $500 offer on the table and always declining it.  From what I've read on the forum, some people saw their offer "on the table" grow larger if they left it alone rather than accepting it. 

After 2 months or so, the $500 offer was taken off the table, which prompted me starting the thread linked above.  Over the course of the next month, the $500 offer taken off the table was put back on, which I again declined... then last week was again taken off the table.  My statement cut a couple of days ago, so I did another request tonight and this time saw a $5000 offer, which I accepted.  So, interesting stuff, as the CLI offered over the course of 1 month went like this:

$500 (declined) --> $0 --> $500 (declined) --> $0 --> $5000 (accepted)

Of course there's no way to know if I had originally accepted the $500 CLI offered to me whether or not today the $5000 CLI would have been available, but ultimately it seems the decision to sit on my hands and wait it out may have been beneficial in terms of achieving a larger CLI. 

I also do believe that after your statement cuts your account is evaluated differently... so if someone gets one answer/decision before their statement cuts, it's very possible to get a completely different answer after it.  I've sort of seen this throughout my 3 year account history, but this most recent data point sort of reaffirms that for me.

discoverCLI.jpg

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover cat & mouse game ends w/$5000 CLI

Congrats!

Message 2 of 37
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Bam!Bam!

You worked the count, and fought off some nasty pitches, then you got one you could turn on!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 3 of 37
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

That’s awesome! Congrats! I guess you’ll have to deal with that uneven limit a while longer lol #forscience

Message 4 of 37
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes! The BBS Special is alive and tickingSmiley Wink Congrats, now, how do 👁 get a cli with Discover ?🤷‍♂️
Message 5 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 wrote:
That’s awesome! Congrats! I guess you’ll have to deal with that uneven limit a while longer lol #forscience

Tell me about it... I've been dealing with it since my first ever CLI of $3800 that took my $xx,500 limit to $xx,300 and with this 10th CLI that I just received I still have that darn "300" at the end.  I keep telling myself that if I get a small CLI offer that would allow me to round it off to the nearest thousand that I'd do it, although my small offers are always $500 and that would just bring me to an $xx,800 limit.  One day once I hit my ceiling with Discover I'll probably just call them up and have them round it down.

Message 6 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the CLI. That's awesome. I hope mine gets that high. I keep getting denied lately. I've only received 3 CLI's in the last year I'm pretty sure.
Message 7 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've only received 3 CLI's in the last year I'm pretty sure.

That's just about on par with me; I've received 10 in just over 3 years. 

I definitely haven't seen any consistency in terms of time elapsed between them.  I've gone several months with back to back CLIs while going as long as 9-10 months without one.  That's with me requesting at least every month, so definitely not due to lack of effort on my part Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, is this still PROOF or is it more of a DP now? 

5K CLI seems like the hypothesis was a little off base now doesn't it?  

Doesn't this make you one of those 40K+ people now?

Message 9 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So, is this still PROOF or is it more of a DP now? 

5K CLI seems like the hypothesis was a little off base now doesn't it?  

Doesn't this make you one of those 40K+ people now?

The thread you linked above was proof that "something changed" with Discover, as evidenced by the fact that I received 60-70 or so denial letters from Discover all with the same denial reason, then finally received 1 with a different denial reason when on my end nothing changed.  You already know that, though, from reading that thread.  It does however prove that $5k (or greater) CLIs can still be had by those with little to no spend, so on that front Discover has not tightened up to the point making that an impossibility.  I was "one of those $40k+ people" before this CLI.  This CLI, nor does that thread you referenced change my overall thesis that I've been echoing for probably a year now where I think it's silly for lenders like Amex or Discover to hand over monster CLIs to people that don't use their current limits.  But, that's a different discussion that bears no relevance to this thread in particular.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.