Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover cat & mouse game ends w/$5000 CLI

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover cat & mouse game ends w/$5000 CLI

Congrats @Anonymous Persistance paid off man!

Message 31 of 37
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Congrats Brutal...So theres a bit of truth to holding out .... Kinda thought this was the case...... least with some profiles..

Still do not know why i get the attention I do .....

-J

Message 32 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_endurance wrote:

I think the next intresting thread to start would be about this Disco cli behavior pattern is the individuals with $40K plus credit lines that continue to see “huge” growth respective to the amount of actual accounts they have. I am welcome to be corrected if I am wrong but, most of these huge disco credit lines where handed out to one’s with very nice SL out of the gate.

I think that's really hit or miss and I suppose it depends on your definition of "nice" SL out of the gate.  The best reference I can give to go against that would be the author of the monster Discover Unofficial CLI thread, austinguy, who started with I believe a $4000 SL and grew his Discover card to $50k in under 2 years.  I'm pretty sure he's over $50k now, as I've kept in touch with him via email on and off since he no longer visits this forum.  I guess there are exceptions to everything. 

I started with a nice SL, but also added a handful of CCs after getting Discover and pushed my limits with all of them.  Discover remains in the #2 slot limit-wise behind Amex for me out of 8 cards and growth hasn't subsided thus far.

Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Anyways congrats on your CLI and as another stated you should of taken slider down to round the number down for OCD reasons, but obviously you want to see how far you can push discover w/regards to CL's and that is fine as well.  We all have different things we find interesting on this forums.  For example you don't want new accounts persay and keep the 850's where I want to see how many new lenders I can get, etc.. We all have different reasons for our madness.

Absolutely.  And, madness is exactly what it is. 

Message 34 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_endurance wrote:

I think the next intresting thread to start would be about this Disco cli behavior pattern is the individuals with $40K plus credit lines that continue to see “huge” growth respective to the amount of actual accounts they have. I am welcome to be corrected if I am wrong but, most of these huge disco credit lines where handed out to one’s with very nice SL out of the gate. And also ones who didn’t nor have gained many tradelines after the actual disco approvals.  I though I saw one individual with an $80K CL? 

I'm not sure there would be much input on a High Roller Disco thread since there's a handful of instances of 40K+ with the top limit being somewhere in the 70K range.

Relative CL's compared to Disco seem to be higher than Disco in many respects.  Many of the high rollers w/ CL''s in the 75-100K range tend to get cut off w/ Disco around 35K or so.  

Disco is positioned in the middle market when it comes to CL's depending on when you start your relationship with them.  The trend tends to reflect upon those starting under 10K end up being able to grow faster than say those in the 10-15K range and even less so when starting out 20K+.

There's a loose correlation between the CL you're assigned with them at opening and the potential to grow almost as if you're in a bucket but, don't get penalized by DFS like other lenders?  There's plenty of hunches on how DFS does or doesn't work with different profiles.  "Thin" profiles tend to get an easy approval similar to NFCU, Median profiles tend to get set along the tortoise growth path, mid-high profiles for some reason can be a coin flip of low CL/high growth or high CL/low growth, and the 800+ group sometimes even get denied completely.

If you stick it out for the long term with Disco you get rewarded for the commitment and some that applied during a specific time period got locked into a no growth situation but, were able to change that with adding a 2nd card to the mix once their profile was a bit more optimized for that sweet spot approval that yields better results than their 1st card ever did.

Disco is really a YMMV situation with each person and each account. 

The appeal of Disco has declined as well as other lenders with the nerfing of the benefits that used to attract more people to them.  Sure a double cash back match is appealing if they offered more consistent categories but was even more so when they had Disco Deals where you could achieve stellar results w/ 10%+ options that popped up frequently.  

There are still some niche offerings associated with the card even with the nerf of the benefits.

1.99-4.99% BT's tend to pop-up w/ $0 fees

You can ask for additional 0% periods and get them

Getting your APR down to the prime offering is pretty easy

Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Outstanding CLI!!

Message 36 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Disco is positioned in the middle market when it comes to CL's depending on when you start your relationship with them.  The trend tends to reflect upon those starting under 10K end up being able to grow faster than say those in the 10-15K range and even less so when starting out 20K+.

There's a loose correlation between the CL you're assigned with them at opening and the potential to grow almost as if you're in a bucket but, don't get penalized by DFS like other lenders?  There's plenty of hunches on how DFS does or doesn't work with different profiles.  "Thin" profiles tend to get an easy approval similar to NFCU, Median profiles tend to get set along the tortoise growth path, mid-high profiles for some reason can be a coin flip of low CL/high growth or high CL/low growth, and the 800+ group sometimes even get denied completely.

SL is always going to be a function of profile. The same way two dramatically different profiles can yield the same Fico score, 2 dramatically different profiles can yield the same SL from Discover, or any other lender.  Because of this, I think it's more important to look at overall profile when talking Discover SL, as the SL is just a function of that.  It may be that sub-$10k SLs from Discover usually come from profiles that Discover prefers to let "grow" for whatever reason, but other profiles may also fit the same mold while yielding a > $10k SL. 

Using myself as an example again, my SL was $12,500 and the reason my profile is a grower IMO is that Discover was my second open revolver... second only to a crappy $3000 limit CO Platinum that was opened a year prior.  In terms of revolvers, I was "thin" at the time, but my file was thick/aged.  I think in general thick/aged files are going to be more likely to have more than 1 open CC.  So, while we know that Discover "likes" thin/young files, they may also see value in a thick/aged file that simply doesn't have a lot of revolvers. 

Another factor that may have played a role in my high SL was that I did have a [closed] $10k limit card on my CR that was open for over a decade, perfect payment history of course.  While Discover could see my only other open revolver had a $3000 limit, they could also see that I was able to manage a 5-figure limit for a long period of time and perhaps they wanted to be the one to slide back into that role.  But, who knows, right?  While SLs are definitely a function of profile, I think trying to look at the profile through the lens of Discover is the most important thing to do when evaluating potential growth of the card.

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.