Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it | Approved with counter offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it | Approved with counter offer

So,  I have a few cards...  Kohls, Walmrt, Paypal Extra, Credit One  --- I'm rebuilding from a BK7 last year.  Current FICO is 647

Never really had a 'good' credit card.  I just recently was approved for a Capital One card with $1000 limit,  and thought,  why not go for another (I will probably ditch the Credit One card) and at least have my inquires mature at the same time,  and take the hard pull hits same time.  

Was looking at the really good benefits Discover offers with their 'Discover it' card.  Everything I was reading was pretty vague and back-n-forth on whether it was worth trying for.  A lot of people seem to get rejected.  I figured...  if I get declined,  I'll just grow my Capital One,  and forget the Discover card. 

First card offer I applied for was declined,  but was still approved with a counter offer.  It still had all the same benifits,  but just a higher APR (23%).   I accepted and they gave me a $800 CL

Just thought I'd share my story and info...   they seem to be pretty picky if you read around,  but hey - they approved me!

Happy St. Pattys Day!! 

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it | Approved with counter offer

Congrats!

Message 2 of 12
pizzaman1
Valued Member

Same thing happened to me. I applied and got counter offer was approved for 1400. My question is how are they with CLIs. My account carries a small balance like 20% utilization every month. How long should I wait to apply for a Cli
Starting Score: 502
Current Score: 660
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Nate! 

Creditone did what it was supposed to do, which is help you get better cards! I agree with closing it now that you have achieved that. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome!

Really cool to hear about an counter offer. Congratz on your new card!!!
Message 5 of 12
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats! 🎉
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the cap1 QS for my help jump start. Is credit one good? 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the cap1 QS for my help jump start. Is credit one good? 

If you have Cap1, you don't need Credit1. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exact same thing happened to me. Have 2 Cap1 at $1k each and got the Discover IT at the higher APR with an $800 SL. Might be worth checking the Chase prequal site as well. I apped the Freedom Unlimited after the prequal and they gave me a $4500 SL with 15 months 0% intro APR. I don't have a BK, but a slightly lower score than you.
Message 9 of 12
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Congrats! 👍 Cap1 and Discover can grow nicely 😎

Oh btw, burn that Credit One 😡

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.