Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it Unsecured + other CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it Unsecured + other CLI

So applied for the Secured card in March (had applied for unsecured when my score was poo in 2014 & 2015). Just put the bare minimum of $200 down. I've only used it when I had the 5% CB on dining and for paying monthly subs (Netflix like charges).

Got the letter sometime in mid-November that the card was now unsecured. So it took a little over 8 months for me.

I think my score was in the low 600s when I had applied and they are now stagnant in the 660s for EQ/EX and 680s for TU. I only wish I had thrown some extra $$ at the secured limit. Having a $200 card is kinda blah haha

Also got a $50 bump on Express (I use it maybe once every other month), $600 on Amazon (heavy use), $500 on BuyPower (credit steps increase at 6 mo point - very little use), $500 on QS & QS1 which were then merged into a $4K QS card (credit steps increase at 6 mo point).

Now if only Chase & AMEX would budge. They have been the heavy used cards lately. Heck I can't even get AMEX to let me in the Pay It Later door.

9 REPLIES 9
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

Re: Discover it Unsecured + other CLI

Disco didn't offer a CLI?

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 2 of 10
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So applied for the Secured card in March (had applied for unsecured when my score was poo in 2014 & 2015). Just put the bare minimum of $200 down. I've only used it when I had the 5% CB on dining and for paying monthly subs (Netflix like charges).

Got the letter sometime in mid-November that the card was now unsecured. So it took a little over 8 months for me.

I think my score was in the low 600s when I had applied and they are now stagnant in the 660s for EQ/EX and 680s for TU. I only wish I had thrown some extra $$ at the secured limit. Having a $200 card is kinda blah haha

Also got a $50 bump on Express (I use it maybe once every other month), $600 on Amazon (heavy use), $500 on BuyPower (credit steps increase at 6 mo point - very little use), $500 on QS & QS1 which were then merged into a $4K QS card (credit steps increase at 6 mo point).

Now if only Chase & AMEX would budge. They have been the heavy used cards lately. Heck I can't even get AMEX to let me in the Pay It Later door.

Did you try for a CLI on the *now* unsecured Discover?  Sometimes youll get one, sometimes not. but its usually a SP..... 

If Discover shows you no love, (Denied for a CLI)... wait 3 months and try again.... You can try weekly if you wanted.. but usually every 30 days (so they see your updated score, remember they do a SP anyways to give you the in-account FICO score).... is a good option, but for the first one... just chill for 3 months if you get the denial....... If you decide to wait, youll likely see an auto-cli anyways.... and if you do see the auto (no luv push) go in and hit the luv button .... 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have not tried yet, I think I'm almost at 30 days since it unsecured

I will probably wait until the next statement cuts and reports, which is ~15th. Never really saw anybody getting unsecured so early so the thought didn't even cross my mind. Heck, I was just going to throw my tax return on there next year for giggles.

Message 4 of 10
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Not a bad idea...... Personally im awful at waiting.. but it sounds like a good plan..... 

I really think they will likely throw you something.. just not sure how much on the first pass...

-J

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I too applied for secured credit card with Discover. At the time I could only afford $200 as well, but with responsible use I imagine it will unsecure in due time. Congratulations and best of luck on your credit journey!

Message 6 of 10
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Discover unsecuring! Hope you get the CLI when you go for it later this month!

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats......You're hard work will pay off!

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do let us know what happens with the CLI!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.