cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it & Captial one platinum approval!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it & Captial one platinum approval!

Hey guys, just got approve for a discover it ($500) & a capital one platinum card ($300) so that's 800 in available credit. These are my only two credit cards and tradelines I have, but my question is should I have both report a balance or just one?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it & Captial one platinum approval!

For optimal scoring, all zero except for one. So in your case, one should have a balance of less than 8.9% utilization while the other reports $0. 

Congrats on your approvals. Soft pull CLIs are possible on both cards so nurture them well. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, ok so gardening with these two for a min will be enough to generate a good score after 6 months or so? I have no score.
Message 3 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Thank you, ok so gardening with these two for a min will be enough to generate a good score after 6 months or so? I have no score.

Ideally you should have one more card to maximize but I would stick with what you have for now. You got two nice cards that aren't technically rebuilders and with no credit score. Unless someone can chime in on another card you can get I would sit tight and check your scores when they finally appear in 6 months. And congrats on your two new cards!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, and I was looking for a 3rd card but but no luck so I'll just stick with the two I have now. Hopefully will be in the high 600's in 6 months
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your cards. Take care of them and they will return the favor.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Yes, scores should generate within 6 months. Unless you want to go the secured credit card route and take up precious card slots, I’d garden until 6 months. Every inquiry temporarily stings hard at the beginning of ones credit journey.  I think you’ll easily be in the high 600s/low 700s, if you play this right.  I’m excited to watch this play out.

I would also suggest a shared secure installment loan/self lender loan to maximize FICO scoring as well.  

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea that was my next move a self lender loan, but I'll be giving a update after 6 months
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.