Did you mean: 

Discover it graduation!!! Must read

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it graduation!!! Must read

I honestly did not think I would graduate at my 7-month mark. Here is why

Here is a quick run down.
-Opened discover it secured August of 2017 with a security deposit of $200(score somewhere around the high 500s)
-At the time I only had an installment loan for my car with two collections totaling somewhere around $1,500 and zero late payments
-I usually payed the minimum monthly amount but I always payed card down to a few dollars before statement cut off which had my utilization around 10 to 15%(I also have carried a high balance a month or two)
-around the 5-month mark my credit score was around the a 650 range (fico) 670(Credit Karma)

-March 17th 2018( my 7th statement month) NOTHING HAPPENED! called discover and they said that they couldn't see that I graduated but it could happen within the next few days.

Wednesday March 21st I wake up and check my Discover account and my account was increased to $1,800! The kicker is for the last couple of days my FICO score has been pulling at around 620 across the board with 12 hard inquiries!

I would also like to note last month I was approved for a Capital One Quicksilver one card in the amount of $300 (I haven't received my first statement or bill yet)

So even though I didn't have the ideal credit profile I still graduated!

15 REPLIES 15
Goal_Getter
New Contributor

Re: Discover it graduation!!! Must read

Congratulations! And thanks for the stats. My Discover secured card was opened last July. My statement cut on the 17th like yours but discover has yet to unsecure my card. I've decided to sock drawer it and work on lowering the balances on my other cards. 

Starting Score: 550
Current Scores: EQ 658 EX 651 TU 669
Goal Score: 700
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I'm at the 7-month mark with my Discover secured. Maybe I should give them a call to see what's up.  I've also applied for the Quicksilver One card before graduation and was approved for a $3500 limit, approved for an AMEX PRG, and approved for a JetBlue for Mastercard. Discover is the only one that is lagging behind. 

Message 5 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymouswrote:
I honestly did not think I would graduate at my 7-month mark. Here is why

Here is a quick run down.
-Opened discover it secured August of 2017 with a security deposit of $200(score somewhere around the high 500s)
-At the time I only had an installment loan for my car with two collections totaling somewhere around $1,500 and zero late payments
-I usually payed the minimum monthly amount but I always payed card down to a few dollars before statement cut off which had my utilization around 10 to 15%(I also have carried a high balance a month or two)
-around the 5-month mark my credit score was around the a 650 range (fico) 670(Credit Karma)

-March 17th 2018( my 7th statement month) NOTHING HAPPENED! called discover and they said that they couldn't see that I graduated but it could happen within the next few days.

Wednesday March 21st I wake up and check my Discover account and my account was increased to $1,800! The kicker is for the last couple of days my FICO score has been pulling at around 620 across the board with 12 hard inquiries!

I would also like to note last month I was approved for a Capital One Quicksilver one card in the amount of $300 (I haven't received my first statement or bill yet)

So even though I didn't have the ideal credit profile I still graduated!

Congrats on the graduation and the nice CLI!  screamer.gif

Message 6 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Happy graduationSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s awesome! Congrats!
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!! After reading this, I checked my secured card to see if my balance was still the $200 secured credit I put in. I now see $2,000!!!! Super excited that my card finally graduated after 14 months!
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the graduations!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.