Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover pre-approving me for a second card - Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover pre-approving me for a second card - Update: Approved

My Discover CC will be a year old in a couple of weeks. Out of curiosity I checked their pre-approval, and it shows 2 cards (IT cashback and IT chrome) with 0% promotional offer for 14 months and then 14.24% APR. I have read preapprovals with set APRs are pretty reliable. But I certainly wasn't expecting to see their lowest APR considering I am not even a year out of my bk7 dc. 

Here is my credit profile -

10 months post bk7 dc.

FICO 8s - EX - 668, EQ - 671, TU - 654

Inquiries - EX - 2, EQ - 3, TU - 2

4 Open CC's

- Cap One Quicksilver $3500 CL turning a year old next week (started as a Platinum SL 3K, pc'ed to QS, credit step CLI to $3500)

- DIscover IT $4100 CL turning a year old in two weeks (started as a secured card, graduated at 8th month and 2 CLI's since then)

- Local CU secured card 2K CL - 10 months old

- Cap One Quicksilver $1K CL - 6 months old

2 Open installment loans (both secured - a year old and the other at 10 months)

How reliable is this pre-approval? Is there a trend that a low APR approval would come with a high SL (> 10K)? Though I don't really need another CC at this time, I wouldn't mind applying for a second Discover if there is a chance of getting a high SL. Of course all these questions will be answered once I click on the Apply button Smiley Happy 

Any feedback welcome.

Discover preapproval.PNG

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover pre-approving me for a second card with their lowest APR (less than a year post BK7 DC

looks like a solid offer to me if they have a set apr

Message 2 of 25
Eagered2succeed
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover pre-approving me for a second card with their lowest APR (less than a year post BK7 DC

Will say a low apr doesn't guarantee a high starting limit. I was approved two weeks ago with an apr of 13.99 but a starting limit of 5K. Was hoping for more seeing as this is my second one with them. 1st being over 4 years old.
Message 3 of 25
shoegal
Valued Contributor

It’s not guaranteed. In my case, I had a preapproval with the lowest APR and I was approved for $13,500 for my second card. But ymmv!

Message 4 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It looks like a solid offer but since you have no CCs with a $5K limit, IMHO, I don’t think you’ll get a $10K SL. Of course, I could be wrong.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:
It looks like a solid offer but since you have no CCs with a $5K limit, IMHO, I don’t think you’ll get a $10K SL. Of course, I could be wrong.

This. 

Discover isnt likely to give you a large SL no matter the APR if you don’t have experience with a current high limit TL. 

Message 6 of 25
padme
Established Contributor

2nd disco card PA. cant lose either way, idk about anyone else, mine in dec was 2x current disco limits. 

Message 7 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With Discover snything is possible. Often times, as evidenced in your case, Discover will give more credit yo someone out of bk then domeone with solid credit. It wouldnt suprise me to see them give you 10k plus on a second card. Ive been over 700 for awhile now and i cant even get a low apr from Disco so to be offered lowest on your scores just show they go iff different things other 5han credit scores etc. If you go for it i wish you luckSmiley Happy. Took me way too many hps just to even get 1Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 25
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would say go for it. You have a solid apr not a range, and you've had your other card with them in good standing for a year.

Its true they like BK'ers. Same thing happened to me....got my first card with them, waited a yr, got a second card (solid offer as well), .

waited another year, then combined the first two cards. Waited a month, then got another card (solid offer), rinse and repeat. Now sitting at  a $25k CL on my oldest Discover card. Smiley Wink

Everyone is different though, my results won't necessarily be your results, but I would say the solid apr is a solid offer. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally pulled the trigger today (wanted to wait for 3 of my open accounts and an inquiry to turn a year old).

Approved with a 13K SL. pretty pumped up. It doesn't show the APR yet. Will have to wait for the card to arrive. Hoping it would be same as the pre-approval deal (0% on BT and purchases for 14 months, and 14.24% thereafter). But the APR doesn't matter at this time. No intention to carry any balance or do any BT. HP on EX.

Thanks to all of you for providing your feedbacks. Post-BK rebuilding is coming along pretty well for us. Wouldn't be possible without the great support and guidance from this community. 

Discover approval.PNG

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.