Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover unbucketed after 5 years!

tag
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Discover unbucketed after 5 years!

After 5+ years at $1,000 SL, today I was approved for a CLI of an additional $3,500.  

I knew they were not giving me credit limit increases  because of a previous card that was closed in 2008 but I cannot remember the details of that card. In fact the only way I knew about it was that it was listed when I pulled my credit reports last year and saw I had 2 discover cards reporting.  The old one was showing closed in 2008 but had no details.  

Anyway, I opened the current Discover card in August 2015.  Looking back in my statements I found that my Fico on the first Discover statement was 697.  Today its 797.  It fell 23 points on Transunion when my last open loan reported paid, last month.

Usage on the Discover card was frequent in 2015 and 2016 then I carried a balance for quite a while, paying just the minimum or a bit more due to financial ignorance.  In 2019 I paid the balance and have PIF since.  2020 I didnt use it much and carried a rewards balance most of the year.  Every couple months I asked for a CLI but was denied with the "current and previous" card reason.  So I sock drawered the card figuring I would wait til 2021 to ask for a CLI.  One of the reps I talked to in early 2020 said it looked like I was in the 10 year black list group, even though that isnt "official" and even though the old card didn't report negatively.  

But when groceries were the 5% cashback category for the 1st quarter of this year I decided to quit pouting about the low limit and use the card.  Only put a few hundred spend on it so far this quarter, and have made payments every couple weeks as my budget allows.  Today I logged in to see if the last grocery purchase had posted.  Obviously I got the urge to ask for a CLI or I wouldn't be making this post, LOL.  

I was literally speechless when, instead of getting the 7-10 day response, I was offered a $3500 CLI.  Miracles happen.  My goal for the last 2 years has been to keep utilization on my cards under 10%.  Can't always do it but that's my goal.  I do have a couple that have low interest where I carry a promo but for the most part I've stuck to the plan.  Now I can use Discover and pay just once a month!

Last year I did manage to get my APR lowered to 12 something.  In times when I cannot PIF the lowere interest rates are important to me also.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Discover unbucketed after 5 years!

Congratulations on your Discover CLI!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 2 of 28
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 3 of 28
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI!
Message 4 of 28
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@KatSoDak wrote:

One of the reps I talked to in early 2020 said it looked like I was in the 10 year black list group, even though that isnt "official" and even though the old card didn't report negatively.  

Congrats on a sweet cli and thanks for the interesting dp's.  I never read about the 'un'official 10 yr. blacklist so that was a good one.  Enjoy paying once a month now.  Woot!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 28
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Congratulations 🎊🎈🎉 on your CLI.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 6 of 28
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@KatSoDak wrote:

One of the reps I talked to in early 2020 said it looked like I was in the 10 year black list group, even though that isnt "official" and even though the old card didn't report negatively.  

Congrats on a sweet cli and thanks for the interesting dp's.  I never read about the 'un'official 10 yr. blacklist so that was a good one.  Enjoy paying once a month now.  Woot!

Just to clarify, the rep who told me that works in the department that can access old files. He is not a front line rep. I was transferred to him when I asked for info about the old card.  This 10 year blacklist thing came up when I questioned why I was able to get another Discover Card in 2015 considering my past performance.  He pretty much said I was lucky to get a second chance and I agree. Then I questioned him about bad records falling off after 7 years. He said this was only with the CRAs. Discover can internally deny as long as they want but 10 years was probably the timeframe I should expect. I must have paid Discover something in 2011 if this is now 10 years. I honestly cannot remember that old card and cannot find old bank records for that time period.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 7 of 28
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

congratulations-banner-colorful-paint-brush-strokes-congrats-vector-card-message-achievement-bright-background-design-137052001.jpg 

Message 8 of 28
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!  Congratulations on your approval!! 🎉🥂

Message 9 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Nice to finally get somewhere, grats on it Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.