cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double WHAMMY AMEX BCE and Discover IT Approval!!!!

tag
Foodie2018
Contributor

Double WHAMMY AMEX BCE and Discover IT Approval!!!!

Hey there,

What a difference two months makes. I tried to get preapproved with Discover back in February and they would only give me secured It, I knew not to even bother with AMEX because my scores weren't up to par.

Current Scores: Fico Ex-633....more about EX later...,EQ640, TU647

So anyway, now that I've seen a bump in my scores, I played around for the last couple of days on AMEX and Discover It pre-approval sites. I struggled with pulling the trigger because I just hate the thought of getting denied. I HATE it, but its a necessary evil.

App'd for Discover It....I was nervous and breathing shallowly because I just knew I'd get the "5-7 days".......APPROVED $500

Then, I decided to try my luck with AMEX BCE, I've always viewed them as the epitome of creditworthiness....APPROVED $1000

SL are not the best, but I'm grateful to have even a tiny, teeny, baby toe in the door. I have come a long way in a short period of time, I still have a ways to go.

Interesting fact, today I received an alert from Experian that there was a change in my report. I never bothered to really look at it until just now only because I assumed it was the inquiries from today's mini app spree. Anyway, when I checked it, I saw that my Experian score jumped from 633 to 677! 44 pts! I'm shocked! My last collection account had been removed, I'm so happy and excited. I do see the HP from AMEX, but its unclear if they approved me with the 633 or the 677.

I have heard very good things about Discover, and I'm excited to watch my card grow. So, I guess I'm officially gardening now guys! I'm hoping with these new additions, that I will hit the 700's soon : )

BK -7/22 FICO -601
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Double WHAMMY AMEX BCE and Discover IT Approval!!!!

Congrats. Now that you have those shiny new cards, it may be time to start thinking about getting rid of credit one card.
Just kill it with fire.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done😁 Pat yourself on the back!!
Message 3 of 13
Foodie2018
Contributor

You read my MIND! Only thing is, I might keep them around because they are my oldest cc ( plus they took a chance on me back when I started rebuilding from the low 500's).

But trust me, they are on the chopping block!

BK -7/22 FICO -601
Message 4 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

That card will count aging wise for up to 10 years after closing. By the time it drops off, your other cards will be aged. No reason to pay any more fees.
They did not take a "chance". You paid them in fees, interest etc. Credit one profited off of you.
They made a business decision and you should do the same. Save your valet and kill it! (With fire)
Message 5 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats CongratsSmiley Happy Remedios is spot on. Credit One should be no ones Capitol OneSmiley Wink. Now there is a c that takes chances and gives people who need credit a chance. Day and night meet black and whiteSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on both approvals

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im willing to bet they used ur older score as most of them are usually a month or two behind including disco and amex. Bet your SL would have been higher with that score but look at it this way. After the 61 days with that big boost in your score I bet they will approve the 3x CLI. And it will grow from there. And hopefully between now and them your score climbs a few points more .Let us know when you get the letter in the mail as to what score they used if you dont mind. Thanks .And congrats! 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:
That card will count aging wise for up to 10 years after closing. By the time it drops off, your other cards will be aged. No reason to pay any more fees.
They did not take a "chance". You paid them in fees, interest etc. Credit one profited off of you.
They made a business decision and you should do the same. Save your valet and kill it! (With fire)

+1 this statement x10. I chopped them as soon as I got my prime cards a few months ago .They will beg and beg you to stay and offer you credits and higher limits etc .Don't do it .Not worth it .Get rid of them asap. 

Message 9 of 13
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Every time someone closes a Credit One account a credit angel gets their wings.....

Dont sweat the slight blip from the age.. Just get rid of it.... (but keep a copy of the account number to ASSURE its closed)....

You have moved on to greener pastures...

-J

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.