Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double approvals w/ surprises - Disco/Apple Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Double approvals w/ surprises - Disco/Apple Card

First real post here guys and gals but I've been lurking since about April of this year. So I was recently approved for Discover Cash Back and Apple Card and want to share some interesting DPs with you.

I'm about 1 year into my rebuild due to living in Asia for 11 years. I didnt have any cards here in the States while I was over there so was pretty much starting over minus having one AU account and one collection from 2013 (which I have no knowledge of TBH, but it's so close to falling off that I'm not going to bother fighting it). I guess thanks to the AU account, scores were hovering around 650 as of one year ago when I returned.

Here are some notes on the approvals:

Discover: Wouldn't touch me with a 10-ft pole thru most of this year. I tried pre-qual 3 to 4 times over the span of 9 months. They wouldn't even give me a secured card. Then on Nov. 4th, pre-qualified and approved. SL: 10k @ 24.49%. Pulled EX w/ 684. What??

Apple Card: Previously denied for too many new accounts (shocking -- see below) and I was fine with that... but a bit jealous that my Korean wife with only 6 months worth of credit history in her name got 5k from them. Since I somehow crossed a threshold with Disco, I figured I'd try again with Apple on 11/4. Offered a SL of $750 at 23.xx%. Said no thanks.

Then, a few days later I got an EE from Transunion on the collection and my Fico 8 TU score jumped about 74 points -- 674 to 748. I'd read multiple times here that your previous offer from Apple/GS was good for 30 days and you would have to try again after that for a new offer. I think I got lucky. This was right when all the bad press was coming out on GS so I hoped maybe they'd refresh the clock for everyone. Tried again with my new TU score on Nov. 13. SL: 6.5k @ 17.74%. 

11/2019: EX: 688 TU: 748 EQ: 683

Income: 54k

Inqs last 12 months: EX: 30+ thanks to car loan apps; TU: 21; EQ: 16

last 6 months: EX: 11; TU: 10; EQ: 4

Cards: 

US BANK Skypass Secured (10/18) -- $300  <closed>

Cap1 Platinum MC Secured (11/18) -- $300 <closed>

Cap1 QS1 (02/19) -- $500

Amex Green (05/19) -- NPSL

Target (05/19) -- $300

Walmart MC (05/19) -- $1200

Petal Card (06/19) -- $3500

Sam's Club MC (06/19) -- $1500

Citi AAdvantage Mile-Up (09/19) -- $3500

Amex Skymiles Gold (09/19) -- $1000

Amex HH Surpass (10/19) -- $1000

Discover it CB (11/19) -- $10,000

Apple Card (11/19) -- $6500

---------

Lots of cards in a short span, I know. I wanted to get them all over and done with so I could let them age together. Anyway, shocked with Disco's 10k limit considering # of accts/inqs and others' luck with 1st card for Disco. I think I got lucky on so much in a short amount of time, but wanted to share for those who are interested or are also newly-replanted in the USA. I'm going to bury myself in the garden now with a big long straw.

Thanks for reading!

6 REPLIES 6
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: Double approvals w/ surprises - Disco/Apple Card

Congrats on the approvals and a nice mix of cards!

Message 2 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approvals!
Message 3 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!
Message 5 of 7
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Great approvals! Congrats! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats x 2 !!

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.