Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double-dip CLI on 5-yr-old BOA VISA

tag
DaveStPete
Established Member

Double-dip CLI on 5-yr-old BOA VISA

After my success earlier today with a 2x CLI on my 2-month-old AMEX, I felt bold enough to try for a CLI on my 5-yr-old Bank of America CashRewards card.

I got this card back in 2012 when my scores were above 700 and was given a $2000 starting limit. Over the years, I have kept the card with a high utilization and only recently managed to pay it down to about 1300 (65% util).  Multiple times I've tried for a CLI and was denied each time.

After getting rid of a Fed Tax Lien from my reports in June, and after today's AMEX success, I decided to give it a go and requested an increase to $4000. With a TU HP, it came back approved within 30 seconds.  Hmm, I thought... I wonder if there is more to be had, so I immediately tried again, this time requesting $10,000.  Another 30 seconds, and WHAMMO: approved for $8,400.  WOW!!!

I am well and truly stunned, but carrying a really big smile around with me today!  This is by far the highest limit I've ever had in my 66 years. When this and the AMEX report within the next 30 days, my overall UTI should improve greatly (currently about 33% overall before these increases).

Next up... NFCU 91-day CLI request in September after the next AR (91 days is Aug 26).  I wonder if I should wait on that one until these others today have updated (about September 20)? NFCU currently at starting limit of $2900.

Current FICO (11/10/17): EQ: 646 / TU: 679 / EX: 674
Starting FICO (2/19/17): EQ: 580 / TU: 620 / EX: 594
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Double-dip CLI on 5-yr-old BOA VISA

Bam! WAY 2 GOSmiley Happy. Feels great right? If you are shocked with Boa today, suprised by Amex, you're going to be flabberghasted with Navy on your next cliSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 18
DaveStPete
Established Member

AverageJoe, I would be perfectly fine with being flabbergasted by NFCU!

Message 3 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats!!!  As an aside, thank you so much for providing a very valuable data point for something people ask a lot here: "I asked BOA for $x and they gave me the full $x.  Can I try again now and ask them for $y or do I need to wait until the Request A Credit Line Increase link comes back in about 3 months?"

Message 4 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hey K last time i asked i found out im at max and that button stares at my face everytime i login lol. Id gladly give another hp for some more luv but not much i can do. I actually tried twice on that last one and a recon, same result, Boa likes 2 things.....Mice and Money, well mice i can always find, the money part welllllllSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 18
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@DaveStPete;
Hey congrats on your dd with BoA! That's a very nice CLI! Question though... So the CLI button didn't disappear after your 1st attempt and you hit it again for your dd or you had to call in for the 2nd cli request? I'm also assuming they used the same hp for the dd?
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 18
DaveStPete
Established Member

JR_TX, Yes, same HP.

I didn't refresh the CC account page in the BOA web interface after it gave me the approval message, so the Request Credit Limit Increase link was still there staring me in the face. In fact, although their message said my new limit was $4000 and was available immediately, the screen still showed $2000. Even after a refresh (F5) of the screen, it still said $2000 and the link was there.

And now, after a couple of hours, I logged back in and saw my new credit limit now showing, and the Request link is still there. So maybe it no longer disappears for three months like someone else said?

Message 7 of 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

It's normal for it take somewhere between 30 minutes and a day for a recent CLI to show on your account.  When I've had really big ones it's always made me nervous still seeing the old limit.  LOL  The link usually sticks around for a bit after you've received a CLI, then it disappears and shows up again around 12 weeks later.

Message 8 of 18
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Congrats Op on your 2 for 1 cli's!

@k-in- boston would you believe it if I told you my request credit line increase button is still hanging around after a week since I got it on my yet to be activated Merrill Lynch? Very tempted to hit it again to see what generosity they have left 😀

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 9 of 18
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

That double dip feature of BofA is fun.

Like AJC i eventually reached max internal when last tried but it sure was a super adventure.

Congratulations!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.