Did you mean: 

Double-dip CLI on 5-yr-old BOA VISA

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Double-dip CLI on 5-yr-old BOA VISA

@DaveStPete wrote:

After my success earlier today with a 2x CLI on my 2-month-old AMEX, I felt bold enough to try for a CLI on my 5-yr-old Bank of America CashRewards card.

I got this card back in 2012 when my scores were above 700 and was given a $2000 starting limit. Over the years, I have kept the card with a high utilization and only recently managed to pay it down to about 1300 (65% util).  Multiple times I've tried for a CLI and was denied each time.

After getting rid of a Fed Tax Lien from my reports in June, and after today's AMEX success, I decided to give it a go and requested an increase to $4000. With a TU HP, it came back approved within 30 seconds.  Hmm, I thought... I wonder if there is more to be had, so I immediately tried again, this time requesting $10,000.  Another 30 seconds, and WHAMMO: approved for $8,400.  WOW!!!

I am well and truly stunned, but carrying a really big smile around with me today!  This is by far the highest limit I've ever had in my 66 years. When this and the AMEX report within the next 30 days, my overall UTI should improve greatly (currently about 33% overall before these increases).

Next up... NFCU 91-day CLI request in September after the next AR (91 days is Aug 26).  I wonder if I should wait on that one until these others today have updated (about September 20)? NFCU currently at starting limit of $2900.

WOWSA! Very nice. Yep, you may even be still smiling tomorrow. I know I would be. A big congratulations to you. And getting rid of the tax lien absolutely helped. Again, a huge congratulations.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 11 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Bam! WAY 2 GOSmiley Happy. Feels great right? If you are shocked with Boa today, suprised by Amex, you're going to be flabberghasted with Navy on your next cliSmiley Happy

+100

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 12 of 18
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Approval! Always feels good when you go for a double-dip (and if you're like me it was likely because you got greedy real fast lol) and you come out on top!

Message 13 of 18
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@DaveStPete wrote:

After my success earlier today with a 2x CLI on my 2-month-old AMEX, I felt bold enough to try for a CLI on my 5-yr-old Bank of America CashRewards card.

I got this card back in 2012 when my scores were above 700 and was given a $2000 starting limit. Over the years, I have kept the card with a high utilization and only recently managed to pay it down to about 1300 (65% util).  Multiple times I've tried for a CLI and was denied each time.

After getting rid of a Fed Tax Lien from my reports in June, and after today's AMEX success, I decided to give it a go and requested an increase to $4000. With a TU HP, it came back approved within 30 seconds.  Hmm, I thought... I wonder if there is more to be had, so I immediately tried again, this time requesting $10,000.  Another 30 seconds, and WHAMMO: approved for $8,400.  WOW!!!

I am well and truly stunned, but carrying a really big smile around with me today!  This is by far the highest limit I've ever had in my 66 years. When this and the AMEX report within the next 30 days, my overall UTI should improve greatly (currently about 33% overall before these increases).

Next up... NFCU 91-day CLI request in September after the next AR (91 days is Aug 26).  I wonder if I should wait on that one until these others today have updated (about September 20)? NFCU currently at starting limit of $2900.

Congrats on the increase! My BofA card has been sitting at $4500 for five, six years now in spite of vastly improved credit scores and single-digit utilization. Those guys do *not* do auto CLIs with me for some reason... I've avoided requesting an increase because I didn't want to risk wasting a hard pull on a chump change increase. I also had a paid lien (state) removed from all three reports recently, so I'll be hitting that button soon and will keep your double dip experience in mind in case I think I could do better the second time around.

Oh, and make sure you call your various cards a couple times a year to see if you're eligible for lower interest rates. It's not as sexy as a high credit limit, but it adds up if you're carrying a balance. It's a biggie, but few people seem to do it. BofA has never boosted my limit, but I did get my APR reduced from a painful sub-prime 29.99 down to a more reasonable 15.24.

Message 14 of 18
DaveStPete
Established Member

CrankyDave,

Thanks for the suggestion about asking BOA for an interest rate decrease.  I think I'll give that a try, since they've collected a lot from me over the past 5 years!

Current FICO (11/10/17): EQ: 646 / TU: 679 / EX: 674
Starting FICO (2/19/17): EQ: 580 / TU: 620 / EX: 594
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I logged into my BoA account to and seen the "request limit increase" button for my cash reward and my travel rewards credit cards, so i click it requested 5k and went from $3000 - $5000 on the cash reward and from $3500 - $5000 on the travel rewards. Today marks the 3rd month for both cards then i decided to double dip so i requested another limit increase and went from $5000 - $5400 on my cash rewards and from $5000 - $7600 on my travel rewards all thanks to this forum. im so happy right now lol

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats @akoi on the double dip. Thats what makes this forum so great, enjoy 😀
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.