Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double the luv: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred and Discover IT

tag
Calicurli
New Contributor

Double the luv: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred and Discover IT

Smiley Very Happy

A huge "thank you" to posters, established and new, for your guidance and practical advice over the years!

To avoid what I call "tl;dr syndrome," I'll make it brief:

After 7 long years of rebuilding due to numerous charge-offs and a resulting three court-stipulated judgments (became unemployed for 1 year), I was approved for my two newest cards early this morning: An AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($1,000 limit) and Discover IT ($2,500 limit).  In addition, I received a small cli for my 2nd Capital One Quicksilver Cash card ($850 limit).  As a note, I had a previous regular Discover card that they closed due to the judgment.

Once my other cards are paid off, I will have almost $11,900 in available credit. In addition to my newest ones, I also have a larger-limit Cap1 QS Cash ($2,500) and one issued by my credit union (shout out to PremierOne credit union in the San Francisco Bay Area!) with a $5,000 limit.

My scores as of the last time I checked (late April): 639 Equifax, 649 TU and 660 Experian.  I have 1 derog (charged-off line of credit, due to fall off between this month and January 2017, depending on if Experian takes 7 or 7.5 years to remove; it has fallen off Equifax and TU already) and two late payments (due to car engine failure 2 years ago, had to pay both Cap1 cards 4 days after the due date, so was marked 30 days late).

Applying the invaluable information I've learned from you, I hope to continue to build good habits, which would have helped me avoid this situation in the first place.

I am also thankful to Capital One, who allowed me to receive an unsecured card despite my credit debacle.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Double the luv: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred and Discover IT

@Calicurli wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

A huge "thank you" to posters, established and new, for your guidance and practical advice over the years!

After 7 long years of rebuilding due to numerous charge-offs and a resulting three court-stipulated judgments (became unemployed for 1 year), I was approved for my two newest cards early this morning: An AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($1,000 limit) and Discover IT ($2,500 limit).  In addition, I received a small cli for my 2nd Capital One Quicksilver Cash card ($850 limit).  As a note, I had a previous regular Discover card that they closed due to the judgment.

Once my other cards are paid off, I will have almost $11,900 in available credit. In addition to my newest ones, I also have a larger-limit Cap1 QS Cash ($2,500) and one issued by my credit union (shout out to PremierOne credit union in the San Francisco Bay Area!) with a $5,000 limit.

My scores as of the last time I checked (late April): 639 Equifax, 649 TU and 660 Experian.  I have 1 derog (charged-off line of credit, due to fall off between this month and January 2017, depending on if Experian takes 7 or 7.5 years to remove; it has fallen off Equifax and TU already) and two late payments (due to car engine failure 2 years ago, had to pay both Cap1 cards 4 days after the due date, so was marked 30 days late).

Applying the invaluable information I've learned from you, I hope to continue to build good habits, which would have helped me avoid this situation in the first place.

I am also thankful to Capital One, who allowed me to receive an unsecured card despite my credit debacle.

Congratulations to you!...Thanks for sharing.Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 13
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you 

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 3 of 13
Calicurli
New Contributor

Thank you!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Calicurli wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

Congratulations to you!...Thanks for sharing.Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 13
Calicurli
New Contributor

@Vegas4Play wrote:

Congrats to you 

Thank you!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, CapOne was big at the beginning, Discover has outpaced them in CLI and cash back. Their double cashback one the first year anniversary could be huge.  That includes 5%, and I caught the tail end of their 10% Apple Pay. 

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done, congrats !

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So happy for you!!! Patience and gratitude are key!

Message 8 of 13
Calicurli
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For me, CapOne was big at the beginning, Discover has outpaced them in CLI and cash back. Their double cashback one the first year anniversary could be huge.  That includes 5%, and I caught the tail end of their 10% Apple Pay. 

Very interesting! I appreciate the information.

Happy to hear Discover has been treating you well Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
Calicurli
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well done, congrats !

Thank you! I almost fell off my bed when I received the instant Amex approval Smiley LOL.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.