Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easiest card approval for "fair"credit?

tag
f1ared
Established Member

Easiest card approval for "fair"credit?

I've had a myFico account since last year, long time lurker first time poster here. Anyways, I started off at 18 and made some mistakes with my credit. I'm basically starting over now, as I'm 24 yrs old at this point and my original credit card (capital one) should be falling off in a couple of years. I'm trying to rebuild my credit and so I got a Secured card from my local credit union. I've had it since Spring of 2013 (almost a year now).

I don't have anything else on my credit report except for the Capital One (charged off/paid in full), my secured card, and a few inquries. I can't ask my bank for an unsecured card until exactly a year after I got the original one...BUT

I keep getting all of these "Pre-Approvals" in the mail, Credit One, First Premiere Bank, and even some overpriced magazine with a "pre approval" (I forget what it's called). All of these cards have outrageous interest and fees, and have terrible reviews. So now I'm wondering if there is a better card out there I could potentially get approved for?

Does anyone have any advice? I want to get another card to boost my score/history, except I want one from a legitimate (not that they're NOT legit, but a better company),  not some sketchy bank...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
duckster
Contributor

Re: Easiest card approval for "fair"credit?

I have a CreitOne card, and it is a predatory card, but I am not in the position to complain about a bank that is willing to offer me a card.  They do charge an annual fee and some other fee when you open the account.  My account opened with a $94 balance and a $300 limit.  After one payment of part of my balance, my limit was increased to $500 without a request.  A lot of others with prime cards complain about this card, but it seems to be a pretty easy approval.  I also got a Vic Secret card and Walmart the same day.  

Good Luck!

My Wallet: Lowes $17k - Cap 1 Venture $10k - Amex Costco $9500 -Barclay's Arrival $8300 - Discover $6500 - Walmart $6000 - OSUFCU $5000 - VS $750.

Scores: TU (Walmart) 727 - EQ (FICO) 697 - EX 731
Message 2 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would go check the pre-qual offers on Capital Ones website... despite that you have an old baddie from them you say it's paid so I bet they offer you an unsecured card like Quicksilver One.

Discover and Barclay also have pre-qual. you can see if they give you an offer... I would very much SKIP Credit One and First Preimier as you do not need them.

If you shop at any place like Express or Victoria Secret check out the shopping cart trick and give them a whirl.

Message 3 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would go check the pre-qual offers on Capital Ones website... despite that you have an old baddie from them you say it's paid so I bet they offer you an unsecured card like Quicksilver One.

Discover and Barclay also have pre-qual. you can see if they give you an offer... I would very much SKIP Credit One and First Preimier as you do not need them.

If you shop at any place like Express or Victoria Secret check out the shopping cart trick and give them a whirl.

+1

Message 4 of 28
f1ared
Established Member

Thanks for the replys! I really don't think Capital One would offer me anything...They took me to small claims court a couple of years ago, that's how it got paid. Maybe I could go back to them in like 5 years or something...but not now. Unless you really think there could be a chance.

Is a "pre-qual" different from just applying for a card? I don't see anything on the Discover website about getting pre qualified.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@f1ared wrote:

Thanks for the replys! I really don't think Capital One would offer me anything...They took me to small claims court a couple of years ago, that's how it got paid. Maybe I could go back to them in like 5 years or something...but not now. Unless you really think there could be a chance.

Is a "pre-qual" different from just applying for a card? I don't see anything on the Discover website about getting pre qualified.

Thanks!

While no pre-approval site is a sure guarantee, there are some lenders whose pre-approval portals provide a good benchmark on the likelyhood for approval.

For Discover, scroll all the way to the bottom of the Credit Cards splash page, there should be a link referenced "See your personalized offer"

Message 6 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@f1ared wrote:

Thanks!

Capital One usually once you either go through BK or settle with them they open the doors back up to try again with them.... Run the pre-qual and see if you get an offer... no point in saying no it won't happen without checking with them!

I find capitalone, chase, citi to be VERY accurate on pre-qual. which are initially done with sp and then if you apply hp, but like I said if I have seen an offer on these sites and moved forward it's always been approved from what I have seen.

Message 7 of 28
f1ared
Established Member

I just tried Discover, Cap One, and a few others. They all just say they "can't find me in there records" or something to that effect. One of them just offered a Debit card.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for all the replys!

Message 8 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@f1ared wrote:

I just tried Discover, Cap One, and a few others. They all just say they "can't find me in there records" or something to that effect. One of them just offered a Debit card.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks for all the replys!

shopping cart trick for express, victoria sercret... any of those interest you?

Message 9 of 28
f1ared
Established Member

Maybe if it was something cheap...Does the shopping cart trick have a high success rate?

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.