Did you mean: 

Excruciating GM Buy Power CLI

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Excruciating GM Buy Power CLI

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

My GM card started at $5k at the 1 year point I requested a CLI online and it went to $10k, at 18 months I requested a CLI online and it went to $11k, recently (August) I requested a CLI online and it went to $12.5k.

It's kind of funny because my experience with branded Cap-1 cards has been awful as far as CLI's resulting in me closing every branded Cap-1 card I had (Sony, Venture, QS), but the GM card - for me at least - has been great. Note that I don't care about added inquiries, I have a very thick file and they have no noticable effect on my scores when they occur. 

That's the best run I've ever read anyone having on this card! Congrats to you! Despite Cap One being so instrumental during my rebuild, I feel like they have me bucketed permanently in low limits due to my file being dirty when I started out. My last QS CLI was for a whopping $100!

I do run $500 a month through the card and I'm probably the only member of the GM card fan club, but I've already got over $600 "banked" and expect to have over $1200 saved up for that new SUV in 2 years. What I like about this card is rather than spend the 2-3% cash back I get from other cards, its a forced savings plan at 5% of normal spending like tolls, car insurance, FIOS bill, etc. On the other hand, I have no use for a branded Cap-1 card based on my experience....

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Wow! What a crazy experience Noxqs! As stated at least tou pulled something out of it. Ive never had Cap One cards nor will i have chance to own one but i know the feeling of tryi g to get a certain card up and losing hps only to get zilch in return. For me ive experienced this with my Synchrony Car Care One card, aka Pep Boys. Thought it was like other Sync cards and kept trying for increases only to always be rejected until a year later finslly got them to give me $700 increase. Like CM7 said, lessons learned. Now i know not to waste my energy on a card that really wont grow. Congrats though on at least getting abit more Smiley Happy

There are definitely certain cards that just won't grow! My SO can't get that Pep Boys card to grow much either. I'm definitely done trying on this GM card. It's getting closed the moment my SO's truck loan closes next year. That'll empty the rewards and I'll be washing my hands of it. On to badger AMEX for increase!

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

My GM card started at $5k at the 1 year point I requested a CLI online and it went to $10k, at 18 months I requested a CLI online and it went to $11k, recently (August) I requested a CLI online and it went to $12.5k.

It's kind of funny because my experience with branded Cap-1 cards has been awful as far as CLI's resulting in me closing every branded Cap-1 card I had (Sony, Venture, QS), but the GM card - for me at least - has been great. Note that I don't care about added inquiries, I have a very thick file and they have no noticable effect on my scores when they occur. 

That's the best run I've ever read anyone having on this card! Congrats to you! Despite Cap One being so instrumental during my rebuild, I feel like they have me bucketed permanently in low limits due to my file being dirty when I started out. My last QS CLI was for a whopping $100!

I do run $500 a month through the card and I'm probably the only member of the GM card fan club, but I've already got over $600 "banked" and expect to have over $1200 saved up for that new SUV in 2 years. What I like about this card is rather than spend the 2-3% cash back I get from other cards, its a forced savings plan at 5% of normal spewnding like tolls, car insurance, FIOS bill, etc. On the other hand, I have no use for a branded Cap-1 card based on my experience....

You're definitely right. The rewards are pretty awesome towards purchase. My fella is buying a new truck next year and he's moved tons of spend through it exclusively. If you're in the market for a GM vehicle, it's outstanding. 

Message 13 of 19
cuthatcard
Frequent Contributor

When apply for the GM Power card, is counted as part of the : :No 2 apps from Capital One for 6 months club" ? 

I'm looking at getting this card for the rewards as I look to get a truck in the next yr or so ! 

FICO :November 2016
TU-761 EQ 756. EX - 749
No Baddies
QS1 -$2,000. Care Credit $9,600.00 CHASE Freedom $3,000.00 Discover IT $1,000.00
Inq TU 4 EQ 3 EX 2
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cuthatcard wrote:

When apply for the GM Power card, is counted as part of the : :No 2 apps from Capital One for 6 months club" ? 

I'm looking at getting this card for the rewards as I look to get a truck in the next yr or so ! 

It's hard to say as it's a co-branded card. The good thing is they don't do the famous Cap One triple pull on this one. If you're in the market, it is a great card.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cuthatcard wrote:

I was looking at it the other day (while reading this thread, tbh) and the T&C doesn't state the 6 months verbiage:

By applying for this credit card account issued by Capital One, N.A. (Capital One®), I understand that I may not be approved if:

• My application is missing required information or the information is unreadable, inaccurate or cannot be verified.
  • My address is: a) outside of the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., or a U.S. military location or Canada; b) a correctional institution.
  • I am under 18 years of age or do not have a valid Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
  • I have 5 or more Capital One credit cards or have been in default on a Capital One credit card within the past year.

"Capital One credit card" may refer to any card issued by Capital One, including co-brand and retail cards.

Whereas, the QS states 2 or more applications in 30 days:

• I understand that I am not eligible for this offer if:
  • My application is received after this offer expires, is incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate or cannot be verified.
  • My address is not in one of the following locations: the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., or a U.S. military location.
  • My address is a correctional institution.
  • My monthly income (my disclosed total annual income divided by 12) doesn't exceed my monthly rent/mortgage payment by at least $425. Or, Capital One otherwise determines that I am unable to make my monthly payments.
  • I am under 18 or do not have a valid Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
  • I have applied for a Capital One credit card 2 or more times in the last 30 days.
  • I have 5 or more open credit card accounts with Capital One.
  • I have a past due Capital One credit card account.
  • I am over my credit line on a Capital One credit card.
  • I have had a Capital One credit card that charged off within the past year.
  • I have a non-discharged bankruptcy (one that is still unresolved).

So... essentially YEMV on this one, because nothing has the verbiage about the 6 months thing even though we know it's the actual policy on branded cards.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@cuthatcard wrote:

I was looking at it the other day (while reading this thread, tbh) and the T&C doesn't state the 6 months verbiage:

By applying for this credit card account issued by Capital One, N.A. (Capital One®), I understand that I may not be approved if:

• My application is missing required information or the information is unreadable, inaccurate or cannot be verified.
  • My address is: a) outside of the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., or a U.S. military location or Canada; b) a correctional institution.
  • I am under 18 years of age or do not have a valid Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
  • I have 5 or more Capital One credit cards or have been in default on a Capital One credit card within the past year.

"Capital One credit card" may refer to any card issued by Capital One, including co-brand and retail cards.

Whereas, the QS states 2 or more in 30 days:

• My application is received after this offer expires, is incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate or cannot be verified.
  • My address is not in one of the following locations: the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., or a U.S. military location.
  • My monthly income (my disclosed total annual income divided by 12) doesn't exceed my monthly rent/mortgage payment by at least $425. Or, Capital One otherwise determines that I am unable to make my monthly payments.
  • I am under 18 or do not have a valid Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
  • I have applied for a Capital One credit card 2 or more times in the last 30 days.

So... essentially YEMV on this one, because nothing has the verbiage about the 6 months thing even though we know it's the actual policy on branded cards.

You have to wonder what has happened to make it necessary to put that line in there. Thanks for the info and the chuckle!

Message 17 of 19
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@cuthatcard wrote:

Whereas, the QS states 2 or more in 30 days:

You have to wonder what has happened to make it necessary to put that line in there. Thanks for the info and the chuckle!

Kind of makes it hard to get a discount on that planned get-away car.....

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't say I blame you for being a bit salty I ouwld have felt the same.  Congrats none the less for what you did get

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.