Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FINALLY APPROVED FOR A CREDIT CARD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FINALLY APPROVED FOR A CREDIT CARD

Congrats on the new card!  With all due respect, I would HIGHLY advise going on an app spree at this point.  It will be a denial spree.  We all get excited about the possibility of a new app but this credit thing takes a little time.  That is what you need, time.

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new card! 

Message 12 of 32
Rmullens2208
Contributor

I'm pretty stoked! Cant wait to hold that beautiful piece of plastic!!!!
Message 13 of 32
Rmullens2208
Contributor

I will take the advice and just keep following all the wealth of knowledge here and try to refrain from the apply button can someone show me to the garden club I need some encouragement!
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rmullens2208 wrote:
I will take the advice and just keep following all the wealth of knowledge here and try to refrain from the apply button can someone show me to the garden club I need some encouragement!

If you want a second secured card that doesn't require a credit pull, you can get the OpenSky Secured Card. I just closed mine after 2.5 years. $35 annual fee. Great credit builder or rebuilder card. Otherwise, you can garden until your score improve for an unsecure card. 

Message 15 of 32
Rmullens2208
Contributor

I just checked out open sky and I will get a 200 secured line omg from 0 cards to 2 in one day any other suggestions should I add a personal loan to the mix?
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

A self-lender loan isn't a bad idea.

A good general strategy:

2 secured cards. *Maybe* a self lender loan.

View credit reports at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Dispute anything inaccurate.

Pay off any old debt that you can afford to pay.

Use the secured cards responsibly.

^ this process probably will take months.

Then, continue to use them responsibly and let old derogatory items age off. You should probably be low to mid 600s after a while.

Once you get to 660+ then apply for one or two starter/rebuilder cards- Capital One, Discover, maybe Amex.

Rinse, repeat. As bad items age off you'll be at 700+ just from making on time payments on a few accounts.

Then you're golden. That's not the time to go crazy. It's the time to re-evaluate again for long-term goals, such as getting a mortgage.

This process can and does take years. Bad items can stay on there for a LONG time, so the goal is to build new stuff responsibly and avoiding pitfalls that will bring you back to square one.

Message 17 of 32
Rmullens2208
Contributor

Amazing advice I just saw that self lender loan 12$ to start with low payments monthly no credit pull! I'm all over it. It's going to be amazing to be over 660! At 700+ I intend to buy a home we will all have a cold beer when that happens!
Message 18 of 32
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval! Take your time and garden until most of those inquiries fall off, then you'll really start to see those scores soar and approvals to match.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 19 of 32
Rmullens2208
Contributor

how long after those inquires go off can i start to see massive approvals in the 1k plus range i se some people with 5 digit approvals! i can not believe that is een possible!

@19eighty5 wrote:

Congratulations on your approval! Take your time and garden until most of those inquiries fall off, then you'll really start to see those scores soar and approvals to match.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.