cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FINALLY!!! Amex Gold approval after blacklisted for the last 12 years!

tag
mrcraft
Valued Contributor

Re: FINALLY!!! Amex Gold approval after blacklisted for the last 12 years!

Congratulations on your approval!!  Well done with your rebuild.  Best wishes.

Message 21 of 31
UH_HUH
Valued Contributor

That is one hell of a good story.

Thank you so much for sharing it :-)

Enjoy all that AMEX Success!

Cheers

Message 22 of 31
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Welcome to My Fico Forums @Anonymous, and congrats on an awesome approval!  It's an inspiring story and we love it when members share their rebuilding with such enthusiasm!   Sounds like you've made great progress and are on your way back up the mountain! Smiley Very Happy

Mountain_top.jpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 23 of 31
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

congrats on getting back in with AMEX!!

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 24 of 31
practical1
Regular Contributor

Congrats on this accomplishment.  I've been in a similar situation, for a slightly different reason with AMEX.  The horrible divorce part came later.  For those interested in another saga, here's mine.  I was blacklisted for over 30 years:

My first individual AMEX card was Gold, issued in 1980 (I was an authorized user on my Dad's Gold Card in the 1970's).  Several business Greens followed -- with my extensive business travel, I easily racked-up $100K spending per year with AMEX.

As soon as the original Platinum Card became available, I was invited to become a recipient (if memory serves, around '85 or '86).  My employer was a multi-billionaire -- he was exceedingly jealous; his invitation arrived several months after I had the card in-hand.  Platinum cards at that time were almost as exclusive and rare as Black cards are today -- always provoking astonishment whenever tendered (even in the exclusive enclaves of Manhattan, where I lived).  

That card also came with an attached $10,000 revolving credit line -- mine was increased instantly to $44,000 with one phone call.  Note that this is when each dollar was worth about 3 times its current value.   My FICO score at that time exceeded 800.  I always paid every obligation in-full each month and was virtually innundated with card offers over the years.   I also received the Platinum Optima credit card.  My overall credit limit with AMEX was $176,000 across all the revolving cards and attached credit lines.  Together with my other cards, I had more that $250,000 in available credit and utilization was very low.

.....then the market crash of 1987 hit.  

Due to the mishandling of my brokerage account at E. F. Hutton, I lost everything I had  -- and then some.  My attorneys were delighted to sue the brokerage firm; but demurred after discovering that more than 14,000 other similar claims had been filed ahead of mine.  I was financially ruined and had no option but to file for bankruptcy.  Unfortunately, AMEX and a few other card creditors were swept into the mix.  Hutton shortly thereafter ceased to exist, becoming part of Shearson-Lehman-Hutton-American Express (SLAMEX, to the trade....)  but that combination subsequently imploded as well.

Needless to say, I was also blacklisted and had no credit cards at all for several years.  Eventually, did the secured thing with Cap One and a local credit union to begin my financial rehabilitation. 

In 2014,  while working for a very large company which had an AMEX corporate card program, somehow I managed to snag a corporate green card (while holding my breath for rejection at every step of the process).  Despite its terms calling for individual holders to pay AMEX directly each month and a 2-year history of perfect payments with $2,000- 3,000 average monthly spend, AMEX would not grant me any individual card products.  Underwriting listened to my story but was unmoved.  I tried repeatedly, to no avail.

Finally, in 2018, I was approved for the Sheraton AMEX card, with a small 2K limit.  I was home again. 

Now I have its successor (Bonvoy AMEX), the Gold Card, the Bonvoy Business Card and  Bonvoy Brilliant Card.  Each proudly embossed: "Member since 1980."  Each time I speak with a representative on the phone, I am greeted warmly as though I never left.....  wasn't my choice to be shown the exit  LOL.  

If there is any moral to this story -- it is that AMEX has a very, very long memory an will hold a grudge, no matter how good a customer anyone was in the past.

So again, best of luck at being again a member of this club.

Congratulations and stay safe.

Message 25 of 31
FICO_24-7

Thanks for sharing your journey. AMEX doesn't forget the past but at least there is a chance they eventually forgive. Congratulations!

Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

great job on the bounce back and congrats with the approval!

welcome back to amex!

Message 27 of 31
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous  Congrats on getting back in with Amex! 

Mind sharing what the IIB amount was?

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@practical1    Amazing story! Thank You for sharing your story. It was very humbling for me to hit bottom. I honestly thought my credit would be scared forever. I was never educated on how it works. I'm getting the hang of it and find "my FICO" quite intersting and challenging. Quite addicted now.   

Also...yes I know the feeling of the dreaded  DENIAL Smiley Sad((

Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FICO_24-7  I'm not sure what IIB is but if its what I burned Amex for 3k. Had I known all it took was to pay the debt I would have done it years ago. Live and learn!

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.