Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FINALLY Discover IT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FINALLY Discover IT

It's the secured of course and I will be funding the card on Friday -- what would be a good starting limit with them to hopefully graduate soon?

I have Cap one Sec $200 and QS $500 

Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Vu
Frequent Contributor

Re: FINALLY Discover IT

$200 is enough if you don’t plan on using it heavily and don’t mind paying the balance multiple times between statements. Most people when graduated get bumped up credit limit between $1.5K to $2K.

As for graduating. My wife card converted at 5 months while mine was at around 15 months lol.

If you have plenty of money laying around and want good credit limit when it graduated. Then by all means secured it with whatever you can afford.

Message 2 of 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I'd put in as much as you can comfortably tie up for at least 8 months... Do think it becomes easier to use if you can start with more than 200.. Still think theres a little bit of put your money where your mouth is when it comes to deposits on secured cards.. But not entirely... 

-J

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd just fund with what you can afford. A high deposit does not necessarily equate with a higher graduation SL with Discover.
Message 4 of 8
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on a great Card!

$200.00 is cool - and has yielded what looks to be their max unsecured graduating SL here lately.  Other than your own ability to fund and do without your security deposit for at least six months, the amount is up to you.

I did a deposit of $200.00, others have done $2000.00 only to go unsecured at $2000.00 while $200.00 has been rewarded with $2000.00 as well.   It's Disco so 'go figure'. 

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 5 of 8
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your new card. 

Start with $200.00 and see how it works for you. You can always add more funds later if you see the need for it 

Message 6 of 8
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

what would be a good starting limit with them to hopefully graduate soon?

I spoke with a csr last week and she said, no matter how I handle my acct. I will not be up for consideration to Graduate until after the 7th stmt. cut.  She also told me that since I started with the Secured card I will not be up for consideration for a Secondary card for 1 year.  When I was first approved they said I could put in as little as $200 and add to it up to $2500 over the course.  First I just did the $200 and quickly found that I couldn't really use it at that amt. so I increased it to $500.  Now I can pay a couple of bills, show some history and not get wacked with high Utl%.  It just depends on how you want to use....nobody really knows what will give you the "best" chance when you do come up for review except showing responsible use.  All I will suggest is if you want it to show as a higher sl, go ahead and put the desired funds in to begin with because it's a hassle calling in, and then waiting for the 8 days for Discover to withdrawl the funds.  (reminds me of the check that is slow to clear...).  Congrats OP!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 7 of 8
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.