Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Approved Discover It

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally Approved Discover It

I’m ecstatic and just had to share my news with someone lol. I’ve tried for a year to get approved with Discover, technically I was for their secured card but turned it down last year and then was denied after I reconsidered, but I was approved tonight for $1k woohoo!!! I know it’s a small toy limit but a major achievement for me to get my foot in the door without being secured, must have been me finally clearing the 700 hurdle I’ve worked hard to achieve. I just recently got my one and only late payment removed from Comenity and that shot my score up 61 points putting me at 714 on EX.

Question though, I do have a couple sub-prime cards from last year should I close them? They aren’t my oldest accounts and since I now have a Citi and CapitalOne with the Discover approval I feel like I just don’t want them anymore. I suppose I could just toss them in the drawer but the 1 card charges me an annual fee and I’d just like to do away with that one honestly and maybe keep the other since it doesn’t? Think it would hurt me in doing so? The limit on the one I would like to cancel isn’t much anyhow, only $700.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Finally Approved Discover It

Congrats big time !!

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 11
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Disco approval!

Message 3 of 11
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

Congrats on the Disco approval!

200w.gif

AU

Message 4 of 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on uour Disco it approvalSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Disco IT approval!

Message 6 of 11
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

Awesome Congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

CONGRATS  on your Discover It approval and Welcome to the DISCO family!!! Smiley Very Happy

I would definitely get rid of the sub-prime card with the annual fee - that won't hurt you.

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and I agree with @Marz2002, get rid of that subprime card. It’ll continue to report as closed in good standing for up to ten years to help with the age factors in your score.

Is that card currently at a zero balance? Does it charge the fee annually or monthly?
I ask because you want to make sure you don’t close it until a statement cuts with a zero balance - last thing I’d want to see happen to you is that you paid it off, closed it, and washed your hands of it, only to have some small trailing interest show up unbeknownst to you, and then have you get hit with a 30-late for $3 that trashes your score for several years.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that would be awful and I’m sure it does happen to some people. It’s at a zero balance, upon getting upgraded to other cards I quit using it as it offers no perks for doing so.

Thanks for all the congrats!
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Disco It approval!!

I'm with the others, ditch that subprime card with an AF.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.