cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally! CLI Success x3 (Discover + Cap1)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally! CLI Success x3 (Discover + Cap1)

I wanted to share an update of 3-recent CLI's I recently received on my Quicksilver MC, Quicksilver VSA, and Discover it cards. I was beginning to get discouraged because all 3 cards had milestone months that came and went with no auto-luv and had denied requests.

Discover It --  via luv button, +4,000  increase to $13,500 just before the 7th statement cut, while carrying a balance of $1,950 (after making 2-lump sum payments). Last 3 cycles I've been using the 0% interest rather than PIF while I still have this option, which allowed me to focus on paying balances on other cards. 

Capital One - after 3 mnths of denials depsite reaching the 6-mo. and 1-yr marks, I am happy to report I finally received a CLI on both my Quicksilver cards. With no payment issues, heavy use with lump sum/pay in full payments, I was shocked CapOne denied my last 3 requests for CLI. Reason for denial is "too many recent inquiries" which is stupid because I have not been applying for credit lately. 

Here are some data points for anyone looking for more info. My scores/Util. are all accurate below.

Discover It:  SL $9,000 ---> $9,500 ---> $13,500 CL 

11/13/17 -- Instant Pre-approved for $9,000 SL (via Scorecard site/soft pull)

2/5/18 -- +500 increase via luv-button, bal. $0, CL: $9,500

5/23/18 -- +4,000 increase via luv-button, before 7th statement, bal. $1,950, CL $12,500.

CapOne Quicksilver VSA: SL $3,000 ---> $5,000 CL

10/14/17 -- Pre-qualified, approved for $3,000 SL after verification.

4/28/18 --  Denied + no auto-CLI at 6-mo mark, Bal. $0 (PIF $2,200).

5/27/18 -- +2,000 increase via luv-button, Bal. $200 (Paid $1,588), new CL $5,000.

CapOne Quicksilver MC: SL $300 ---> $400 ---> $750 ---> $2,250 CL

3/29/17 -- Pre-qualified, instant approved for Platinum $300 SL

7/4/17 -- +100 increase via luv button, bal. $0, $400 CL

9/6/17 -- PC'd from Platinum to Quicksilver no-AF

9/26/17 -- +350 increase via 6-mo Credit Steps , bal. $0, $750 CL

4/03/18 -- Denied + no auto-luv after 1-yr mark, bal. $22 (paid $879).

5/27/18 -- +1,500 increase via luv button, 15th statement, bal. $0, (paid $850), $2,250 CL

6 REPLIES 6
Batsamandrobin
Regular Contributor

Re: Finally! CLI Success x3 (Discover + Cap1)

Those are some nice increases. Congrats!

Message 2 of 7
austingal
Regular Contributor

I love that you gave so much data. Kudos for that!

I too have one on those Cap One cards that got PC'ed to a Quicksilver MC. My current limit is $750. I had been curious to know what might be next for me in terms of growing this card so it's good to see what you were able to do.

Within the next few months my reports will likely be free from all baddies and I will have paid down my Discover balance. I have 4 credit cards now and the only one with a balance is my 0% Discover. Trying to pay it way down to decrease my utilitization and increase my scores.

Then with all luck my Cap One limit will look like yours. Congrats!

Message 3 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@austingal wrote:

I love that you gave so much data. Kudos for that!

I too have one on those Cap One cards that got PC'ed to a Quicksilver MC. My current limit is $750. I had been curious to know what might be next for me in terms of growing this card so it's good to see what you were able to do.

Within the next few months my reports will likely be free from all baddies and I will have paid down my Discover balance. I have 4 credit cards now and the only one with a balance is my 0% Discover. Trying to pay it way down to decrease my utilitization and increase my scores.

Then with all luck my Cap One limit will look like yours. Congrats!

What I've noticed with Cap1 cards is you have to put in heavy use for at least 3 months. Based on the data I've seen people post, the CLI you get will put your limit close to your monthly spend.  I tried out the theory with my stuck cap1 qs1. It hasn't got an auto or requested increase in about 2 years. For the last 3 months, I cycled my card for about $1400 in charges a month, paying down multiple times to keep charging. 10 days after the 3rd statement, I got an increase to $1300 total. I also found that 10 days after the statement was the magic number. Looking back through all my paperwork and emails, any kind of increase on any of my cap1 cards came 10 days after the statement that triggered them. Didn't matter if it was auto or I requested. Dont know if that is solid, but I'm going to try again with a couple of other cap1 cards to see if the pattern repeats.

Message 4 of 7
austingal
Regular Contributor

Good to know. I am a very light spender so I'm not sure if I can churn that much money through the card. I will have to rely on their good graces I guess. If I don't get a CLI, then I don't get a CLI. It won't be the end of the world to me. I just want to grow the Quicksilver to the extent that I can in my own circumstances.

Message 5 of 7
jgdev
Regular Contributor

OP congrats on the great CLIs!

I just finally got some luv from CapitalOne on an old QS that I PC'd from a Platinum 6 months ago. It's been stagnant at a $2750 limit for the past almost 3 years. (That much makes sense considering I had it maxxed out for most of that until November 2017) I stopped using the card a few months ago in March. From December-March I was spending around $800 a month on it and paying $1000 each month, but for whatever reason even when my statement balance was not maxed out or close to it they still wouldn't give me anything. I stopped spending on it in March. last month I did a 1 lump payment of the entire balance with left over interest being the only thing reporting it at $34/$2750. I hit the luv button for the 8th time in the last few months and they finally approved me for a CLI. It wasn't anything exceptional. I got a $500 CLI bringing the card to $3250. 

So atleast for me putting a large amount of spend on it didn't do anything for getting a CLI. It was only when I stopped using it and paid it in full did they finally give me anything.

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I agree, CapOne is definitely finicky and hard to figure out so I appreciate each of you sharing your experience with them. 

Prior to receiving the CLI's, I 'pre-qualified' for a Venture card,  Savor and  Quicksilver cards (as if I need a thrid QS, haha). I couldn't get a CLI  but sure let me go right ahead to open a new card/account with you, CapOne. Haha.

I am glad I waited because a new card is not part of my plan moving forward. Especially not when the only sure thing about apping for a 3rd CapOne card is the 3 extra HP's...prequalified or not. Moving forward, my goal is to combine both my Quicksilver cards, close a couple store cards and shift to a more "quality vs quantity" thing. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.