cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally a Discover CLI w/ >$20k prior limit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally a Discover CLI w/ >$20k prior limit!

This is pretty newsworthy here.  Back at the end of March whenever Discover "broke" whatever they did, many of us stopped getting regular CLIs from them.  More specifically, there were tons of reports of those with > $20k limits being unable to achieve consistent CLIs like they were prior to the end of March.  My last Discover CLI was 9 months and 5 days ago, until finally getting one today.  I've been requesting CLIs from Discover every Monday for over 30 weeks.  Yes, I have a stack of over 30 denial letters, all with the insufficient experience with current credit limit reason stated, which we are all familiar with at this point.

My limit has been stuck at $24,800 since the the beginning of 2017, but received a $5500 increase to $30,300 from my usual Monday SP attempt today. 

Previous monthly spend was $200 from 7 total swipes.  My spend in the previous 7 months while receiving weekly denial letters was $52, $70, $70, $187, $2616, $1744, $1362.  The heavier spends were at the start of the year and in April after having not received a CLI in 3 months (when I did receive 1 a month for the previous 4 months) I put the brakes on big time and moved my spend to other cards as you can see.  I was hoping that some "tough love" would stimulate a CLI, but it didn't. 

My aggregate utilization is always 1% and my Discover utilization reported is always 0% or 1%, depending on the month and if I feel like reporting a balance.

Hopefully this data is useful.  For those that have been unable to get a CLI since before March with Discover, I say now is the time to try again if you haven't recently!Discover CLI.jpg

Oh BTW my TU FICO 08 score as provided by Discover is at 768.  TU is my only dirty bureau, so Discover sees my worst report unfortunately.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Finally a Discover CLI w/ >$20k prior limit!

@Anonymous wrote:

This is pretty newsworthy here.  Back at the end of March whenever Discover "broke" whatever they did, many of us stopped getting regular CLIs from them.  More specifically, there were tons of reports of those with > $20k limits being unable to achieve consistent CLIs like they were prior to the end of March.  My last Discover CLI was 9 months and 5 days ago, until finally getting one today.  I've been requesting CLIs from Discover every Monday for over 30 weeks.  Yes, I have a stack of over 30 denial letters, all with the insufficient experience with current credit limit reason stated, which we are all familiar with at this point.

My limit has been stuck at $24,800 since the the beginning of 2017, but received a $5500 increase to $30,300 from my usual Monday SP attempt today. 

Previous monthly spend was $200 from 7 total swipes.  My spend in the previous 7 months while receiving weekly denial letters was $52, $70, $70, $187, $2616, $1744, $1362.  The heavier spends were at the start of the year and in April after having not received a CLI in 3 months (when I did receive 1 a month for the previous 4 months) I put the brakes on big time and moved my spend to other cards as you can see.  I was hoping that some "tough love" would stimulate a CLI, but it didn't. 

My aggregate utilization is always 1% and my Discover utilization reported is always 0% or 1%, depending on the month and if I feel like reporting a balance.

Hopefully this data is useful.  For those that have been unable to get a CLI since before March with Discover, I say now is the time to try again if you haven't recently!Discover CLI.jpg

Oh BTW my TU FICO 08 score as provided by Discover is at 768.  TU is my only dirty bureau, so Discover sees my worst report unfortunately.

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats BBS! I always read your post on the other thread about the luck you have been having with Disco CLI's. Finally! Let's hope that the gates continue to remain open.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I'm hoping others will try for CLIs now and chime in as to whether they see success now when perhaps they haven't in quite some time.  As of now I'm considering myself an outlier, but I'd very much like to hear that's not the case and that many others are seeing green after having been dried up for a long time.

Message 4 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Brutal, i know how much this one meant to you and am happy they finally caved from having to print so many denial letters. No $500 soup for you, definetly collect you $200 + and please pass GOSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 24
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

I have a theory that balance transfers using most of the limit also get increases.
Message 6 of 24
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Big Congrats BBS on the increase finally! Maybe the disco train is back re boarding its passengers once again guess we will see 😉

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 7 of 24
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats!
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JSS3 wrote:

I have a theory that balance transfers using most of the limit also get increases.

I think using most of any limit, regardless of whether it's through a BT or purchases is going to greatly improve CLI chances. The problem is of course, once you get to a 5-figure limit or higher, using most of that limit for most people with an average income or even slightly above average income is almost impossible.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations brutal nice cli. Dv
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.