Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally above $10K Disco with CLI

tag
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Finally above $10K Disco with CLI

@drboxing wrote:
Congrats on your limit. How long did it take to get that limit?

I'm gonna say about 2 years. I've posted a few times that Disco hated me because the limits grew sparingly.

I started with a $500 secured card Oct 2016 and got the 2nd card  ($1000) Nov 2017.

Once I started trying to grow my lines (not until after May 2017, when I started following this site) my previously secured card would only grow every 6 months. The 2nd card was growing in $500 (which I double dipped) increments monthly for a few months and then slowed to a crawl. But, I did notice that the 2nd card was growing more freely than the previously secured, which is why I decided to move my limit and close that one.

Also, I opened the secured card when I was in the 500's and the 2nd card in the 700's. That said, I hope this card starts growing quickly now that it's over $10K with decent scores.

Starting Score (May 2017): 584 TU
Current Scores: 752 TU, 717 EQ, 750 EX

Goal Score: 820+

Message 21 of 27
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

I don't understand how everyone has so much success with Discover increases, every single one I have requested have been denied.

That includes online and over the phone requests.

Don't get discouraged. I was right there with you. Between the 2 cards, I realized that the previously secured card would only give me a CL ever 6 months.  With the 2nd card, I got an increase every month for a few months and then they started giving me the too soon excuse.

I answered someone else with this but want to show you how things went so that you're encouraged.

I started with a $500 secured card Oct 2016 and got the 2nd card  ($1000) Nov 2017.

Once I started trying to grow my lines (not until after May 2017, when I started following this site) my previously secured card would only grow every 6 months. The 2nd card was growing in $500 (which I double dipped) increments monthly for a few months and then slowed to a crawl. But, I did notice that the 2nd card was growing more freely than the previously secured, which is why I decided to move my limit and close that one.

Also, I opened the secured card when I was in the 500's and the 2nd card in the 700's. That said, I hope this card starts growing quickly now that it's over $10K with decent scores. And now that I'm down to one card with them, my plan was to wait until November to get a 2nd card, which should give me a decent SL. But, I really don't need it so, we'll see.

Oh, and before I combined limits, my 2nd card was just increased to $5,500. That's with double dips at each increase. So, I'd STILL be waiting on that $10K limit had I not combined limits.

Message 22 of 27
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

@ZackAttack wrote:

Wow ...

I have been wondering how Discover does their credit line increase because I got the Discover Student Cash Back card (unsecured - $500 CL). So when you double dipped, did the system auto increase the card and then you called on the phone to get a higher increase? I heard that depending on request it can be a soft or hard pull on it. 

When I initiated a CLI request via the website and it was approved, I'd call to ask if there was more available. Every time it would match the amount of the online increase and it's always been a soft pull.

Message 23 of 27
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Did anyone ever get the "your request is still under review" when asking for a CLI??

Message 24 of 27
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

interesting, after over a dozen declines, they increased me from 2200 to 3300

Message 25 of 27
ohjoy
Frequent Contributor

@Hockeypnc1 wrote:

interesting, after over a dozen declines, they increased me from 2200 to 3300

Sweet! Congrats on the increase!!

Message 26 of 27
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

It's a small help. Anything to get available credit up and utilization percentage down.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.