Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally got an AMEX

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally got an AMEX

First,  have been lurking on here for at least the last 6 months as I have been repairing my credit. Long story short I messed up with my credit, some of it not knowing better some not caring but one day I woke up and wanted to not worry about getting a house or car so decided to educate myself. Fast forward around 6 months later and around 100 points higher I can now say I have finally gotten an AMEX card. I have never been able to get one before. I got the Gold Skymiles Delta with a instant SL of 1k. Still waiting for it to get here to see if it goes any higher but I am more than happy with that. 

For some background I started with a Discover IT secured card that is still in the process of graduating followed by an unsecured Cap 1 card with a $300 SL. Creditkarma said I have a fair chance to get this card and since I still had the pulls from Cap 1 earlier, less than a month ago, I decided to give it a shot since these pulls will all drop around the same time and I was instantly approved! I was shocked.

To end this story, I happened to read something else about NFCU and the scores needed to get a card from them. I have been a member for a long time but burned them in the past and decided to push my luck with them since I am 2 months paid in advanced on my car loan and havent missed a payment for my old closed card in over 2 and a half years. I was approved for thier cashRewards card witha SL of $15k! I couldn't believe it. Also may have app'd for a PayPal cash back card, Synchrony gives me 0% interest from thier SCRA and I have been eyeing this card for awhile. Got it too! $300SL but that's fine since I will be gardening until at least this time next year. It will have time to grow.

DPs: Scores around 630 across the board, lowest around 614 on the Fico 9 score

HP's around 15 across the board as well. I will reply with what was pulled in the morning.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
chhull00
Frequent Contributor

Re: Finally got an AMEX

Congratulations mate, good job!Congratulations_misti.gif

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! 

Message 3 of 19
CreditRebuilder2020
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the Amex! And nicely done. You're doing a great job there. 

X1 VISA SIG $15,500/ AMEX Gold / Petal 1 $3600 / Wells Fargo Active Cash VISA $3K / VENMO Visa $900 / Verizon Visa $2K / Apple Card $1500 SL / Wyndham Rewards Earner Visa $500 / WALGREENS Store $1K / Amazon Store $5000 SL/ Discover IT Chrome $2500K / BP Prime Rewards VISA $4350 / PayPal MC $3500 / BOA BankAmericard $2K / BOA Cash Rewards $1K / Cap One Savor One $1200 / Cap One QS1 $950 / Blaze MC $2250 / Credit One $850 / Credit One AMEX $1200 / OpenSky $600 / AvantCard $1000 / Discover IT Cash Back (Graduated) $400 / eBay MC $750
FEB '22 EX: 698 EQ: 700 TU: 713 | UTL: 23% | Total Credit Limit: $54000
Goal Score: 675 for all FICOS (ACHIEVED NOVEMBER 2021) | NEW GOAL SCORE: 725 for ALL FICOs
Message 4 of 19
alvon123
Super Contributor

Congrats!!!

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. That's awesome. Plus a great SL on your NFCU.
Message 6 of 19
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your progress thus far and joining Amex Smiley Happy.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

... I was approved for thier cashRewards card with a SL of $15k!

You buried the lede, my friend. What a breath-taking approval, especially when placed aside the other two. Despite reports of "belt tightening" and closing of purse strings, it seems good 'ol Navy can be counted on to go where no other lender dare. 

So Congrats! to you, T. And thanks for sharing the DPs so others might learn from your experience. 

Message 8 of 19
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! As promised here are some more DP's:

AMEX: Experian, myfico said my score was a 620 at the time of the pull.

NFCU: Transunion, believe they use Fico 9 score.

PPXCR: Transunion

Older pulls from about a month or 2 ago.

Cap1: Experian, Equifax, and Transunion

DiscoverIt: Equifax

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.