Established Contributor

Re: Finally in the Chase Ecosystem But - Questions

Congratulations on your CFF approval🎉🎉🎉

Message 21 of 25
elboullee
Regular Contributor

Got the card today.

Umm, did I get a "downgraded" card as well - by which I mean the actual card itself? The card is embosssed. Which seems like an odd choice in 2023.

It's not just the aesthetics either, the card is twice as thick as printed cards, taking up twice as much wallet space.

Anyway, I've already qualified for the $200 w/$500 intro offer. And will definitely take advantage of the 9% on groceries for the next two weeks. I will be putting about $3K/month through the card. Hopefully a significant CLI will be in the offing soon.

Message 22 of 25
fullacrobat5
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your CFF approval !!

Message 23 of 25
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@elboullee wrote:

Umm, did I get a "downgraded" card as well - by which I mean the actual card itself? The card is embosssed. Which seems like an odd choice in 2023.

It's not just the aesthetics either, the card is twice as thick as printed cards, taking up twice as much wallet space.

No, you didn't get a "downgraded" card, @elboullee.  It's true that non-embossed cards have slowly become more common but that's only been over the past five to ten years, even though the old-fashioned card machines have become extinct.  Premium cards or some of the newer-released cards have been leading the charge on non-embossed.  Goldman Sachs/Apple not only did away with the embossing but they removed the number from the card itself altogether; it can be found securely stored in Apple wallet with the security code, which can be elected for periodic random changes for additional security.

Like yours, my non-premium Chase cards such as Freedom Unlimited (and my older Freedom card) are still embossed and I have embossed Chase INK business cards, including one that was just issued.  Chase isn't the only major bank still issuing embossed cards.  For example, I believe DW still has embossed AMEX credit cards even though their premium cards like the charge cards or my Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant are non-embossed.  (Similarly, my Chase Sapphire Reserve, World of Hyatt, and Marriott Bonvoy Boundless were not embossed.)  And I still have embossed cards from several other lenders.  While you may cringe at the thickness of some of these plastic cards, that's actually a benefit.  I've had many plastic cards split lengthwise over the years from wear in my wallet.  So for any of my non-metal cards, I cringe at the cheap thin plastic when I get a plastic card. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 24 of 25
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your Chase Approval!

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.