Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally joined Amex-Approved for Blue Skymiles

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finally joined Amex-Approved for Blue Skymiles

Congrats! I've been eyeballing this card for a while as well!
Message 11 of 19
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

I have a further update on this for anyone who was interested. As mentioned I applied for and was approved for the Blue Delta Skymiles. Fast forward to today and I was regretting a bit not getting the Gold as the AF pays for itself if you fly delta and check a bag 2 times a year. So I called support and asked them if there was an upgrade option. They said no but you can apply for it as a companion card and still be eligible for both bonuses, meaning I could get the 30k bonus miles with the Gold card and the 10k bonus miles with the Blue card (I should be able to easily reach the spending requirements by running monthly bills through it). 

I did go ahead and apply and to my surprise was approved for 5k! This is by far my highest limit on any card. The only thing that has changed in my credit profile from 1.5 weeks ago to today is my Util% dropped from 9% to 6%. The only real downside here and to my surprise is they did a HP. Most of my reading suggested Amex would only do SP for existing card holders. I probably wouldn't have applied if I had known this but nothing I can do about it now. I am still extremely happy about the limit as it's finally a card I can actually use without killing my util %

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Going from 9% to 6% utilization can make a meaningful difference. I did not want to be a debbie downer by saying you should have gotten Gold not Blue but now you have posted it yourself. Card Act might have been an issue on not allowing the upgrade, but it worked out great for you in the end. The soft pull offers only come after you have been a member some unspecified time.
Message 13 of 19
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

@TheRationalConsumer-Thanks for the feedback, you're absolutely right in that I should have gone for the Gold. I guess consider this a lesson learned, I just really didn't want a HP for a decline, this is why I just went with what was pre-qualified.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just my opinion but unless someone that has worked at Amex comments, I would think keep both cards active at this point. Put Netflix or something similar on the Blue and put bigger purchases that would impact utilization on the Gold.
Message 15 of 19
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

Yea that's my plan for the most part. The only benefit the Blue has over the Gold is that you get 2x skymiles for purchases at restaurants. So in that case makes sense to use it there but most of those purchased would be small.

Message 16 of 19
kmorr2586
Regular Contributor

Congrats! I got approved yesterday for a $1k limit as wel! Also was approved for the gold card!!!
Message 17 of 19
blazerein
Established Contributor

Congrats and welcome to AMEX

AAoA 6yrs 3mos | Inquries: TU5/EQ5/EX8 | Utilization: 9% | Mortgage: 1 | Auto Loan: 2 | Personal Loan: 2 | Derogatory: 0

> >CREDIT UNION

EX- 585, TU- 583, EQ- 563 | CURRENT SCORE UPDATED: 2/2023 -> FICO 8 EX 754 TU 741 EQ 755 | FICO 9 EX 747 EQ 763 TU 756
Message 18 of 19
pgtackle2003
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! Welcome to AMEX! It feels good. Now time for gardening
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.