Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally off Chase Blacklist

tag
fleetfoot
Valued Member

Finally off Chase Blacklist

In 2012 I burned Chase across five credit cards for a total in excess of $20K.  After a critical car crash in 2010 that resulted in a 4-week hospitalization, and a loss of work for 5 months, I maxed out all my cards just to get food and clothing for my family.  When the medical bills hit, I was even worse off (that's another story for another time). 

I eventually defaulted on all of my Chase cards in 2012.  I never declared bankrupcy and Chase never sued me.  I tried on two occasions to regain a Chase card, primarily because of my heavy use of Marriott hotels and United Airlines.  Both times I received the dreaded "previous relationship" denial.  I was on Chase's blacklist.

I was surprised in January 2022 when Experian's website said I was preapproved for Chase's Freedom Flex credit card.  After following this forum for two years, I knew that some have been able to get back in with Chase after 10 years.  I applied through Experian's "preapproval" link and I received the standard "30 day" message.  The robot lady also gave me hope with a "30-day" message.  Three days later she changed to the "7 to 10 day" message and I assumed that meant a denial.  Rather than call right away, I waited for the letter in the USMail which indicated that I needed to contact the verification team to confirm that I had applied for the card.  When I called, I was asked some simple questions to verify my identity and I was approved with a small $3700 limit. 

I am thrilled as I plan to use the card responsibly to gain readmission to the Marriott Bonvoy - Chase card family.  I plan to wait until my Freedom Flex passes the one year mark before applying for the Marriott Boundless.  Your thoughts?

At time of application:

Fico8's:  Exp 777    TU  756   Eq 762

Income $149K

2/24

AAoA:  6yrs 4mos

Inquiries last two years:  1

Ex FICO8 762
Eq FICO8 767
TU FICO8 753
AAoA 10 yrs, 1 mo
AoOA 35 yrs, 2 mos
AoYA 3 mos
29 REPLIES 29
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

Re: Finally off Chase Blacklist

Congratulations on getting back in with Chase. I also burned Chase and other issuers for quite a lot around 2009-2010. I've gotten back in with all issuers, except Chase. Only reason they have declined me was "too many new accounts associated with you in the last 24 months". I'll try again end of summer when I get back under 5/24. 

No surprise that the only issuer who won't let me back in is Barclays. Hey I'm ok with that. 

Congratulations on your approval and for getting your foot back in the door with JPMCB. 

JR
Message 2 of 30
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations to you on getting back in with Chase and your new approval to start things off anew with them.

Message 3 of 30
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on getting back in with Chase!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 4 of 30
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on re-establishing a relationship with Chase!

Message 5 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@fleetfoot wrote:

In 2012 I burned Chase across five credit cards for a total in excess of $20K.  After a critical car crash in 2010 that resulted in a 4-week hospitalization, and a loss of work for 5 months, I maxed out all my cards just to get food and clothing for my family.  When the medical bills hit, I was even worse off (that's another story for another time). 

I eventually defaulted on all of my Chase cards in 2012.  I never declared bankrupcy and Chase never sued me.  I tried on two occasions to regain a Chase card, primarily because of my heavy use of Marriott hotels and United Airlines.  Both times I received the dreaded "previous relationship" denial.  I was on Chase's blacklist.

I was surprised in January 2022 when Experian's website said I was preapproved for Chase's Freedom Flex credit card.  After following this forum for two years, I knew that some have been able to get back in with Chase after 10 years.  I applied through Experian's "preapproval" link and I received the standard "30 day" message.  The robot lady also gave me hope with a "30-day" message.  Three days later she changed to the "7 to 10 day" message and I assumed that meant a denial.  Rather than call right away, I waited for the letter in the USMail which indicated that I needed to contact the verification team to confirm that I had applied for the card.  When I called, I was asked some simple questions to verify my identity and I was approved with a small $3700 limit. 

I am thrilled as I plan to use the card responsibly to gain readmission to the Marriott Bonvoy - Chase card family.  I plan to wait until my Freedom Flex passes the one year mark before applying for the Marriott Boundless.  Your thoughts?

At time of application:

Income $149K

2/24

Congratulations on getting off Chase's blacklist. No mean feat.

Agreed that you should proceed slowly.

Best way to get Chase to increase your credit limit is to use the card a lot, and pay it down a lot.  This sometimes results in an auto CLI.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 30
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!!  Congratulations on your Chase Approval!! 🎉🥂👏

Message 7 of 30
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced all of that! Congratulations on getting back in with Chase and all your progress during your credit rebuild! Hopefully you can get the Marriott card again too whenever you apply!  Best wishes to you! 

Message 8 of 30
fleetfoot
Valued Member

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@fleetfoot wrote:

At time of application:

Income $149K

2/24

Congratulations on getting off Chase's blacklist. No mean feat.

Agreed that you should proceed slowly.

Best way to get Chase to increase your credit limit is to use the card a lot, and pay it down a lot.  This sometimes results in an auto CLI.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I agree that I should take it slowly with Chase, given my poor history with them.

Ex FICO8 762
Eq FICO8 767
TU FICO8 753
AAoA 10 yrs, 1 mo
AoOA 35 yrs, 2 mos
AoYA 3 mos
Message 9 of 30
fleetfoot
Valued Member

After following myFICO forums for a couple of years, I've decided that Barclay's will forever be a "no go" for me too.   I rebuilt my credit with secured cards and then CapOne Platinum.  Ten years ago I strategically defaulted on Chase and Barclay's and carefully protected Amex and Wells Fargo.  As a result, those accounts remained open, although their credit lines were drastically reduced.  I am now happpy that Chase has let me back in, albeit with a small credit limit.

@JLRDC909 wrote:

Congratulations on getting back in with Chase. I also burned Chase and other issuers for quite a lot around 2009-2010. I've gotten back in with all issuers, except Chase. Only reason they have declined me was "too many new accounts associated with you in the last 24 months". I'll try again end of summer when I get back under 5/24. 

No surprise that the only issuer who won't let me back in is Barclays. Hey I'm ok with that. 

Congratulations on your approval and for getting your foot back in the door with JPMCB. 

Ex FICO8 762
Eq FICO8 767
TU FICO8 753
AAoA 10 yrs, 1 mo
AoOA 35 yrs, 2 mos
AoYA 3 mos
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.