Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First BIG approval!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First BIG approval!

Hey folks!

About a week or so ago I was messing around the internet and trying for different preapprovals. Discover preapproved me for two cards so I applied for Discover It. I was approved for $8,000! This is my largest line.

My plan is to not use this card (or use it very sparingly) and apply for CLIs ever so often. Is this a good plan of action? 

At what point do I apply for another card to see if they offer a similar SL? I'm very young (low 20s) and new to credit but interested in improving my portfolio. 

Cheers!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: First BIG approval!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey folks! Hi, and welcome!! Smiley Happy

About a week or so ago I was messing around the internet and trying for different preapprovals. Discover preapproved me for two cards so I applied for Discover It. I was approved for $8,000! This is my largest line. Congrats on the approval! Thats super exciting! 

My plan is to not use this card (or use it very sparingly) and apply for CLIs ever so often. Is this a good plan of action? yes and no. Why did you get the card if you dont have plans to use or utilize it? I would most definitely use it to your advantage, and  charge only what you can afford to pay in full every month. I wouldnt stick in the SD and never use it. 

At what point do I apply for another card to see if they offer a similar SL? I'm very young (low 20s) and new to credit but interested in improving my portfolio. Are you referring to Discover or any lender? If Discover, you have to wait till the 1st card is 1 yr old before they will give you another one. As far as other lenders....I would use your new Discover card for about 6 months 1st, and then apply for a card that will work for you and your needs. Smiley Happy

Cheers! Welcome again!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

About a week or so ago I was messing around the internet and trying for different preapprovals. Discover preapproved me for two cards so I applied for Discover It. I was approved for $8,000! This is my largest line. Congrats on the approval! Thats super exciting! 

My plan is to not use this card (or use it very sparingly) and apply for CLIs ever so often. Is this a good plan of action? yes and no. Why did you get the card if you dont have plans to use or utilize it? I would most definitely use it to your advantage, and  charge only what you can afford to pay in full every month. I wouldnt stick in the SD and never use it. 

At what point do I apply for another card to see if they offer a similar SL? I'm very young (low 20s) and new to credit but interested in improving my portfolio. Are you referring to Discover or any lender? If Discover, you have to wait till the 1st card is 1 yr old before they will give you another one. As far as other lenders....I would use your new Discover card for about 6 months 1st, and then apply for a card that will work for you and your needs. Smiley Happy

Cheers! Welcome again!

I definitely plan to utilize the card but I don't plan to carry a ridiculous balance. I would like to buy a cup of coffee or a new shirt using the card but I prefer to make one of my other cards with a lower limit my primary. Does that make sense?

I was referring to any other lender. I like the idea of using the card for six months and applying for another.

Thanks for your insight and warm welcome. 

Message 3 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cheers! Welcome again!

I definitely plan to utilize the card but I don't plan to carry a ridiculous balance. I would like to buy a cup of coffee or a new shirt using the card but I prefer to make one of my other cards with a lower limit my primary. Does that make sense? Absolutely! 

I was referring to any other lender. I like the idea of using the card for six months and applying for another.Sounds like youre one step ahead of the game alreadySmiley Happy

Thanks for your insight and warm welcome. You bet!! I like being here, and offering advice when I can. Hope you stick around!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the approval!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 9
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 6 of 9
peghede
Valued Contributor

Congrats on approval m8, now all you have to do is double dip it on every cli.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!!!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on approval !!! and very nice SL

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.