Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First EVER CLI on my BOA Cash Rewards - $8k to $12k

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

First EVER CLI on my BOA Cash Rewards - $8k to $12k

So I opened this Bank of America cash rewards card back in February 2013, just a few months into my rebuild.  It was my first Visa Signature, and it took calling back for a reconsideration to get approved (read all about it here).  It's been a fine card over the years, but the limit started fairly low ($5,000) and hasn't moved up the way my other cards have.  As I do with most of my cards, once or twice a year I request a CLI.  I've had luck with other cards from Amex, Discover, Citi, etc., but BOA stayed stuck at $5,000; they wouldn't consider a CLI without a hard pull.  A few years ago, I got fed up and agreed to take a hard pull; it was a quiet time for me credit-wise, and ended up being my only hard pull of the year.  That got me up to $8,000.  Since then, I've continued to have no luck with BOA, even as my rebuild reached completion, with my FICOs reaching the 800s and a new mortgage to my name in May.  I've run a few thousand through the card here and there, but for the past month or two, it's been sock drawered with a $0 balance, as it usually is.

Then, out of the blue, I get an e-mail from BOA: "Want more buying power? Request it now."  I've been pre-selected to request a CLI with no credit check.  I enter in my annual income, and I'm instantly approved for a CLI from $8,000 to $12,000.  It took SIX YEARS, but they finally showed me some love!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: First EVER CLI on my BOA Cash Rewards - $8k to $12k

Congrats on your first ever CLI! 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

COngrats on very nice CLI !!!!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. I had a similar experience with BOA. I had a secured card with them and was able to convert it to unsecured within 6 months with a SL of $500 but it still had the $39 annual fee. They would not let me convert it for 4 years. I would call back twice a year and would get a hard, "no." Twice I even tried to do it by going into a local branch. Still, no.

Then about 6 months ago, I called in and was able to convert my card to a BOA Travel rewards with SL of $3750. Then, just last week, I tried the CLI link after logging into my account and got increase to $10K. Looks like they are playing nice with loyalists.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your CLI.

However, I get the sense that you are unaware that Bank of America no longer hard pulls for CLIs.  They started using soft pulls in May 2018 and you can request a CLI every 3 months (if you so choose) when the luv button appears in your online account.

Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Very nice Smiley Happy. Be careful, the floodgate has openedSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your CLI

Message 8 of 11
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Nice CLI! Congrats
Message 9 of 11
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your CLI.

However, I get the sense that you are unaware that Bank of America no longer hard pulls for CLIs.  They started using soft pulls in May 2018 and you can request a CLI every 3 months (if you so choose) when the luv button appears in your online account.

That is definitely news to me! Thanks!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.