Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First semi prime card post BK!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First semi prime card post BK!!

I wanted to leave this here for others in my position of post Ch 7 rebuild. I received my first ever card with sizable limit (for me) and decent interest rate since the BK. I'm comparing this to what I got before BK which was 18.99% from Discover for $10,000. Which their still blacklisting me for.

PenFed Gold Visa 17.99% $6,500

I had been waiting for PenFed for my rebuild since it seems since 2019 they switched to 24 months post BK but I got hit with cable box dispute (I returned the box) that went into collections for 2 months right after the 2 year mark. I caved in and paid for it and cursing myself for not taking care of it ASAP. Because of that I thought I was screwed with PenFed for another 2 years as some people posted that they denied them for derog within 24 months. I went on a app spree since I'm more than 2.5 years post BK and got approvals with token limits from Venmo, BBVA, but a big one from GS Apple Card. Plus Sync counter my CLI for Amazon store card with $2,000 increase rather than the $1,000 increase I submitted, as well as an automatic SLI last november from CapOne QS1 to $3,000 (after 90 days, 2nd CapOne card, non bucketed).

I saw the conditional acceptance and feared the worse but decided to call them and figured at most I'd get a $3,000 SL, but was shocked instead that I got the same generousity they give to most folks. So for those in BK rebuild, this post is for you. Until they change the underwriting, wait 2 years post discharge and get in with them. Then say hello to your first semi prime card. I was just savoring the joy of having no AF cards that will grow unlike Avant or Mercury, which are gross subprimes and was overjoyed with the GS Apple card for $2,500 and now this....a card with a good SL (for my profile) and with the best interest rate I've ever had (I know it's the max of that card's interest range). I never knew what I was missing out on with Credit Unions pre BK.

No more 24.99 - 28.99% interest rate!! So for all those BK rebuilders, THIS IS YOUR FIRST BIG STEP towards prime.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First semi prime card post BK!!

congrats on the penfed!

Message 2 of 19
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 3 of 19
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your PENFED approval!! HAPPY REBUILD! and........

Happy-Saint-Patricks-Day-Gif-11.gif

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

congrats on the penfed!

Thy board speaketh the truth Paws, they have shown us the way to the promise land. Another few more months and you too will be in the land of milk and honey....or rather no AFs, token limits, or predatory APRs.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very cool, looks like you have turned the corner and can expect even better things ahead.  Congrats!

Message 6 of 19
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your PenFed Gold approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Now I can relax and really garden and grow this card and the QS1 and the GS Apple card.....hopefully a year from now and 4 years post BK I can get a CapOne Savor and then garden until 5.5 years and get in to Amex since they were never IIBK. Then 7-10 years post BK maybe get back in with Citi and Chase (prolly 10 years).

Message 8 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats to your success!

Message 9 of 19
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.