Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First unsecured cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First unsecured cards

I've been waiting and rebuilding for a couple years to buy a house. Just closed last Friday. On Sunday I applied for several cards. I had only one secured Capital one with $750 SL for the last three years. First app was Cap 1 QS1. Approved for $3000. Tried for Platinum, but was denied. Next I went for Amazon store card since I have a long Prime relationship with them. Approved for $1300. Called credit solutions immediately and ask for a CLI to $10k. They came back at $5000. Accepted. Next was Lowes. Approved for $700. Went to Home Depot, approved for $500. I think I'll stop here for awhile and work with these lines. I'll use the Lowes and Home Depot cards for the new house and Amazon is where I do most of my online shopping anyway.  I've been told to use the QS1 for all the other day to day purchases I've been paying cash for and PIF before statement close. I'm looking for any advice on how to best handle these new trade lines to maximize my credit worthiness and SL's. My goal is to buy a car in about 6 months and want to be in the best possible position.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First unsecured cards

Congrats on all the successes! Enjoy the new house!

Message 2 of 15
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been waiting and rebuilding for a couple years to buy a house. Just closed last Friday. On Sunday I applied for several cards. I had only one secured Capital one with $750 SL for the last three years. First app was Cap 1 QS1. Approved for $3000. Tried for Platinum, but was denied. Next I went for Amazon store card since I have a long Prime relationship with them. Approved for $1300. Called credit solutions immediately and ask for a CLI to $10k. They came back at $5000. Accepted. Next was Lowes. Approved for $700. Went to Home Depot, approved for $500. I think I'll stop here for awhile and work with these lines. I'll use the Lowes and Home Depot cards for the new house and Amazon is where I do most of my online shopping anyway.  I've been told to use the QS1 for all the other day to day purchases I've been paying cash for and PIF before statement close. I'm looking for any advice on how to best handle these new trade lines to maximize my credit worthiness and SL's. My goal is to buy a car in about 6 months and want to be in the best possible position.

Congratulations on the new approvals, rebuilding, and new home!! 

Now...Call Credit solutions on Lowes and ask for $20k...tell them you just closed on your home, and need new appliances or flooring...they will counter as well! Good luck! 

Message 3 of 15
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Congrats OP on all your approvals , you would have only been denied for the Platinum Cap One bc you are only allowed one account opening every 6 mths , it's a new rule Cap one just made recently.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, I called Lowes and asked for $15k, they countered with $12k.

$700 to $12,000 in one day!

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wondered if that was why I was denied the second Cap1....

I hope it wasn't a second hard pul?

Message 6 of 15
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

When this happened to us it was not a second triple pull . The system basically just rejects the app altogether.
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on your awesome approvals, and very happy that you have a new home! Enjoy all that you have! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

EXCELLENT NEWS! Congrats on your newfound Credit Freedom and your new home. Enjoy your new cards! Don't spend it all in one place.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your new home, cc and CLI on the new cc 😄

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.