Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From 535 to 740 fico

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

From 535 to 740 fico

Hey everyone! Just here to share my experience and my rebuild of the past year. When I was 18 I got my first credit card which was a B of A card with a 500$ limit. I maxed that card out and never paid it. That tanked my credit and up until last year I didn’t even try to do anything with credit because I knew it was **bleep**. But it did fall off my credit report after the 7 years so I started again,this time married and having a newborn and wanting to buy a house soon. I was approved for a cap one platinum card for 300$ and made all my payment on time. Also got a Kohl’s card to help my utilization. So with a total limit of a whopping 600$ my credit score went from 535 to 740 in a little under one year. Last week I applied for a target card as we do a lot of shopping there and got an instant in store approval for 1500$. My capital one card also went from 300$ to 1000$. Well I thought to myself I need another credit card not retail card to help my utilization stay low. This morning applied for the quicksilver one card and approved for 3000$ starting limit! I couldn’t be happier from coming from not even beeing able to finance the smoke off a burger to having a 740 score. I plan to garden for a year and then we will be house hunting. My income is a little over 40k a year and my wife stays home with our son. We do very well though and I couldn’t be happier. So if you think you’ll never dig yourself out from **bleep**ty credit just know it can be done !
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From 535 to 740 fico

Congrats on your successful-so-far rebuild!  Keep up the good work (and gardening for a year) and you should be golden.

With a score of 740 it sounds like all your baddies have dropped off, right?

Feel free to join us in the Garden Club thread too. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 17
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Congratulations and good job!  Keep up the good work. 

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

A thousand congratulations to you for such a great recovery. As someone who filed Chapter 13 and paid it all off I know the discipline it takes. Keep it up. You are on the right path. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 17
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

Great story, good luck to you and your wife.

Cheers.gif

Message 5 of 17
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the rebuild and keep it up!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good work!  I love reading all of the inspiring posts!

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on rebuild also for approval , nice SL

Message 8 of 17
SwarthyOgre
Regular Contributor

Well done and congrats! Don't forget to consider Chase and their 5/24 rule if/when you decide to add another card to your profile. Smiley Happy

Starting scores: 5/15 - EQ: 546 | TU: 580 | EX: 554
Current scores: 4/23 - EQ: 750 | TU: 750 | EX: 750
Message 9 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey everyone! Just here to share my experience and my rebuild of the past year. When I was 18 I got my first credit card which was a B of A card with a 500$ limit. I maxed that card out and never paid it. That tanked my credit and up until last year I didn’t even try to do anything with credit because I knew it was **bleep**. But it did fall off my credit report after the 7 years so I started again,this time married and having a newborn and wanting to buy a house soon. I was approved for a cap one platinum card for 300$ and made all my payment on time. Also got a Kohl’s card to help my utilization. So with a total limit of a whopping 600$ my credit score went from 535 to 740 in a little under one year. Last week I applied for a target card as we do a lot of shopping there and got an instant in store approval for 1500$. My capital one card also went from 300$ to 1000$. Well I thought to myself I need another credit card not retail card to help my utilization stay low. This morning applied for the quicksilver one card and approved for 3000$ starting limit! I couldn’t be happier from coming from not even beeing able to finance the smoke off a burger to having a 740 score. I plan to garden for a year and then we will be house hunting. My income is a little over 40k a year and my wife stays home with our son. We do very well though and I couldn’t be happier. So if you think you’ll never dig yourself out from **bleep**ty credit just know it can be done !

Congrats on all your success. Did you apply for the Quicksliver one or Quicksliver. If so I would try to obtain maybe the CFU or Penfed Power Rewards. All great 1.5% cards with no annual fee especially with that 740 Credit score.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
Henrico Federal Credit Union Auto Loan: 32K @ 1.74
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.