Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Bad Credit to Credit Card Approvals from AMEX, Discover, and NFCU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From Bad Credit to Credit Card Approvals from AMEX, Discover, and NFCU

@Anonymous wrote:

WOW this is a super story and I the exact same story as you except for being a LawDawg  - love you guys!

My credit history has just the same in the low 500 and I started paying off! Next July 2017 I got the darn worst

card - Premier $300 CL I nurse that card never late always on time. My FICO was never that great but

I could always find someone to sell me a car with a high-interest rate 14%. I check Credit Karma and could see what

was on my rap sheet. One car paid off, one car owing $10,000.00 and Premier Credit Card $300. Anyway

, my wife had been battling cancer and after she did her last CHEMO we were driving home and she saw a 

Mercedes that she like, so we pull over and purchase the new ride - $ 40k and I'm the primary at 13.9%. 

My FICO jump to 584 and then I really started paying attention! Next, I was in Nordstroms got to the register 

and the tell asks if I wanted to apply for a Nordstrom card I was trying to decline but said it will only take 60 seconds.

So I figured what do I have to loss - POW!  Approved for $1500. So I really started paying attention, next I found this place

and this forum has been excellent and very instrumental, I found out pre-approval is the way to go next came the Capital One

Silver $300 CL than a Miles Credit Card $300 CL because I'm growing. Then Credit One sent me pre-approval for $400. and a Credit 

increase to $600 CL in one month. Next, I was standing at the register is in Walmart and the lady ask me if I like to apply I 

started thinking about everything I open recently. I was being hasty so I said yes BAM $900 CL. So I chill for a couple months

FICO is now at 635.  I received a pre-approval Kohls app in the mail. I applied and WAM $300. I was really content with paying off

everything every month.  Making sure I keep everything below 30%. Next, I had to go to the dentist I have good insurance Metlife but

they will not take care of cosmetic work such as implants as I need so bad, the dentist told me $20k total. Metlife I call them and they the will take care of 40 %. So next time I went to the dentist the secretary asked if I ever heard of Care Credit, I sad no, I gave her my information

right there and she came back with $4000 CL. I was happy ...but what happened next was horrifying.  The dentist took all $4000 at one time sending my card utilization into  57% and my FICO score di a nose dive into the 500. So over the last month I'm but up 40 points but not wear 

I was at I did get a CLI from Nordstrom. I'm still growing and trying to get to 700 - 800 to reach the goal of the AMEX. Can someone please tell me how to check the data points?

you don't need a 700 score to get in with AMEX. Their Delta Co-Brand Card is not too hard to get. When I app'd they said my Experian Fico 8 score was 621. That was back in March. Google Credit Pull database and you should be able to find the website that hosts ppl's data points.

Message 31 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, BabajayDee 

Message 32 of 35
drboxing
Established Contributor

You definitely don't need a 700 score to get AMEX. I think the easiest card is the Delta Gold which is what both my wife and I started out with. My wife now has the Delta Gold and Green AMEX, I have Delta Platinum, SPG, Biz Platinum and my score isn't 700. Hope all works out and congrats.

Message 33 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I realize this is an older post but I absolutely love it I needed to read this one today
Message 34 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your rebuild story is very motivating for someone like me who is only about 5 months into rebulding!  Way to go! Smiley Happy

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.