Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From CHP 13 to my first AMEX!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

From CHP 13 to my first AMEX!

Hello everyone!  I have been rebuilding since filing a Chp13 in 2010.  I started off opening a secured US Bank card with a CL of 500 in May 2015.  I used the card very sparingly for a year and tried to unsecure in May 2016 and was declined as the BK was still showing. I kept chugging along wondering if I would ever have unsecured credit.  Shortly thereafter I opened a Gamestop Comenity card as I kept getting offers and shopped there once in a while. 

Fast forward to this February where I opened a Discover IT secured w/ 200 CL.   Then as my BK fell off of Equifax I took a chance with my bank, Huntington, on the Huntington Voice card in March.   APPROVED $10K SL. Smiley Surprisedc At that time I was showing a 740 EQ

I was in shock and then I found this forum. Smiley Happy

Since then I have minimized my utilization across the board.  Under 9%

In April I applied for preapproval with Honda Financial.  Preapproved with Transunion at 740.  Left the dealership with a new Honda Civic Hatchback 1.9% financing.

Still wanting my $500 back from US Bank I decided to call and asked that it be unsecured. Since I already bought the car I wasnt as concerned with the HP.  The rep said I would hear from them in 7-10 days. A couple of days later I noticed they closed my previous account number and then a few days after my new Unsecured Visa Platinum came in the mail. Still 500 CL but thats fine, 

On a ROLL.....

I kept reading the forums and realized I had no inquiries on Experian.... None.  I tried to prequalify with Am EX and there was nothing available.  I knew I had a 781 with Experian and just had to TAKE A CHANCE!   

APPROVED for $6000 SL on AMEX BCE.  EX 781.  Now 779 After the HP. 

This is unbelievable to me.  What a spring it has been! 

Thank you guys for all the great advice and data points as I have been lurking and responding once in a while.  This is proof with patience and a lot of planning you can rebuild after a time of learning and reflecting.  

TU 742/  EX 779 / EQ 761    

AAoA 6.1 years. -Student loans

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From CHP 13 to my first AMEX!

Congrats on the new Amex and successful rebuild.  Good job

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very impressive rebuid!! Congrats and welcome to the AMEX family. BTW...heck of a interest rate on your car...great story..keep up the good work!!Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations and welcome to the Amex family! I was just recently approved for the "you just got in" $1k starting limit on the delta gold card but even being approved for an amex has been one of the most satisfying results of my credit rebuilding journey! Can't wait until my 61 day 3x CLI!
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I am definitely marking the 61st day on my calendar Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi KnowHal super congrats on your awesome credit rebuild & your approvals keep up the good work! 😊
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Achievement & wonderful Self-Discipline!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

WOW! That's awesome. I just started my rebuild in March and I love reading stories like yours for inspiration. Congrats!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone!  I have been rebuilding since filing a Chp13 in 2010.  I started off opening a secured US Bank card with a CL of 500 in May 2015.  I used the card very sparingly for a year and tried to unsecure in May 2016 and was declined as the BK was still showing. I kept chugging along wondering if I would ever have unsecured credit.  Shortly thereafter I opened a Gamestop Comenity card as I kept getting offers and shopped there once in a while. 

Fast forward to this February where I opened a Discover IT secured w/ 200 CL.   Then as my BK fell off of Equifax I took a chance with my bank, Huntington, on the Huntington Voice card in March.   APPROVED $10K SL. Smiley Surprisedc At that time I was showing a 740 EQ

I was in shock and then I found this forum. Smiley Happy

Since then I have minimized my utilization across the board.  Under 9%

In April I applied for preapproval with Honda Financial.  Preapproved with Transunion at 740.  Left the dealership with a new Honda Civic Hatchback 1.9% financing.

Still wanting my $500 back from US Bank I decided to call and asked that it be unsecured. Since I already bought the car I wasnt as concerned with the HP.  The rep said I would hear from them in 7-10 days. A couple of days later I noticed they closed my previous account number and then a few days after my new Unsecured Visa Platinum came in the mail. Still 500 CL but thats fine, 

On a ROLL.....

I kept reading the forums and realized I had no inquiries on Experian.... None.  I tried to prequalify with Am EX and there was nothing available.  I knew I had a 781 with Experian and just had to TAKE A CHANCE!   

APPROVED for $6000 SL on AMEX BCE.  EX 781.  Now 779 After the HP. 

This is unbelievable to me.  What a spring it has been! 

Thank you guys for all the great advice and data points as I have been lurking and responding once in a while.  This is proof with patience and a lot of planning you can rebuild after a time of learning and reflecting.  

TU 742/  EX 779 / EQ 761    

AAoA 6.1 years. -Student loans

Congratulations on your rebuild! I can't wait until my BK falls off (Chap 7 in 2009). My rebuild is going well also. Glad to see its working out for you as well!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.