cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From Citi Secured ($200 deposit) to AMEX Delta Gold & Rose Gold in a year and a half

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

From Citi Secured ($200 deposit) to AMEX Delta Gold & Rose Gold in a year and a half

Hi everybody!

Before I begin writing away, I just wanna give a special shoutout to all the senior members of this forum, as well as all the other credit repair/gardening forums that have steered me in the direction of credit worthiness with AMEX. If it weren't for your time on the internet, I would probably be stuck with lousy cards and obsolete advice.

Credit profile in the beginning of this journey:

• 3 baddies (DirecTV for $2xx, ConEd for $5xx, and Portfilio Recovery (Capital One) for $7xx)
  • Credit scores ranging in the high 400's to low 500's
  • No established credit history (no credit cards, no installment loans)
  • Mid 20's male in a major East Coast city (making $15/hr if that matters)

My journey began in March 2017 when I decided to give Citi $200 in exchange for a chance at credit redemption, first approval and a boost in self esteem. Fast forward a year, and I decided to try for Discover Secured (credit score was averaging 620 across all 3 FICO's) and lo and behold, I was two secured cards in. Just keeping my head down and paying in full every month, so I don't give the credit bureaus any funny feelings. Baddies began dropping like flies for some reason, with Portfilio Recovery still being the only one hanging on (but it's estimated to fall off in 01/2020).

Then it happend!

In September of this year, Citi send me a Black Diamond Preferred card and another letter stating that they'll be sending my security deposit back! I immediately took the opportunity like many others did in the past and called Citi for a product change to Double Cash. They had the offer, but only raised my limit to an awkward $450. I wasn't complaining though, just happy that I'm worthy for a unsecured double cash card now!

Then I graduated to a Discover unsecured! (with a $500 limit, step your game up Citi.)

At this point, my scores were TU 646 / EX 636 / EQ 725 (I don't know how EQ got that high).

This all sounds like child's play at this point, especially at the pace some forum members graduate and get higher limits, but a couple of weeks back, I decided to try my luck with AMEX. I saw a prequal offer for a Delta Gold Skymiles card, and immedately jumped at it. After looking at my screen 10 minutes later (because I couldn't bear the thought of being rejected) and listing my mom as a AU, I was approved! ONLY AFTER A YEAR AND A HALF OF HARD WORK, I COULD FINALLY BE A MEMBER! They gave me a limit of $1000!!

and then I kind of got a little trigger happy and applied for the Rose Gold charge card over the phone a week later, you only live once right?

APPROVED! but it kind of sucked because I called to see if I could get a offer better than 25k, and since I have two hard pulls on my EX report now. Still though, I'm incredibly grateful that with the power of these forums, and sticking to good behavior someone like myself could have cards that match my white collar friends now.

Will be trying for the 3xCLI on the Delta Gold, as well as trying to improve my other two cards and their CL's.

Thanks again to all you spectacular MyFico members who've lead me to a path of credit worthiness. Gonna try for a Auto Loan on a new Honda Accord next year. Hope that works out as well as these approvals did.

-Summary-

• Citi Secured (March 2017) -> Citi Black Diamond Preferred (September 2018) -> Citi Double Cash (September 2018 $450 CL)
  • Discover IT Secured (March 2018) -> Discover it unsecured (September 2018 $500 CL)
  • AMEX Delta Gold Skymiles (October 2018 $1000 CL) / AMEX Gold w/Rose Gold card (October 2018)

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From Citi Secured ($200 deposit) to AMEX Delta Gold & Rose Gold in a year and a half

Congratulations 👍🏾
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From Citi Secured ($200 deposit) to AMEX Delta Gold & Rose Gold in a year and a half

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful, inspiring story. Your hard work has paid off. Also, your story epitomizes the saying that credit is a marathon, not a sprint or something like that. I am really apply for you. Can’t wait for AmEx to finally let me in.

Message 3 of 9
CerebralZulu
Frequent Contributor

Congrats, nice work.

Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Well doneSmiley Happy the true journey is just now beginningSmiley Happy Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 9
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your new AMEX cards!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a great story!  Congrats.  I remeber when my first card was a secured Orchard Bank Master Card for $200 CLI. LoLSmiley Happy.  We all start somewhere!

Message 7 of 9
Noneed2nv
Regular Contributor

Very nice! 

Image result for congrats gif

Message 8 of 9
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the success thus far!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.