Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny Credit One story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny Credit One story

Well the time came to start offing the starter cards which I don’t need and don’t use anymore. Besides the piddly limits and monthly fees are just annoying. First Prem was a simple in app message to close and not so much as a sorry to see you go I got a two word message back  “account closed”. The Credit One story was different. Could not find a way to do it online so I called them. Nice lady in Manila said she was so sorry that I wanted to cancel and she wanted to know why. So I told her I didn’t need them anymore and that the 800 and 1100 limits on the two cards were of no use to me. I thanked her for the service but just close the cards. She got all excited and said “wait I have wonderful news for you.... I can increase your credit limit by $200 on both cards AND I can waive the fees for 3 months on one card and TIL end of 2020 on the other. Who knows why they would be different and she couldn’t explain. But here is the funny part. She again said with excitement that “I have a special bonus for you since you have been a loyal customer with perfect record I am authorized to give you a special one time bonus ...... wait for it....  a gift credit of $9.70 on one of your accounts if you leave them open”. Well, you can imagine my surprise so I said how could I possibly refuse such a generous offer. No idea where that weird number came from. So I guess I will just keep them open and in the sock drawer until they start charging me fees again. (Oh and the credit did actually show up in about 5 min after the call 😅)

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Funny Credit One story

Your signature line looks very good, I would call them back and finish what you started the first time close them!!! They have served their purpose.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jnbmom you are prob right but I couldn’t resist sharing the story and the csr lady in the Philippines was so nice. Haha. Don’t worry they are goners. 

@Jnbmom wrote:

Your signature line looks very good, I would call them back and finish what you started the first time close them!!! They have served their purpose.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never had a Credit One but in this case I would try writing a letter to them to close the account. It is their typical behavior to make offers to get their customers to keep the card when calling in to cancel it.

Message 4 of 7
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Jnbmom you are prob right but I couldn’t resist sharing the story and the csr lady in the Philippines was so nice. Haha. Don’t worry they are goners. 

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous 

I remember when l closed credit one awhile back the guy told me my Fico Score would be affected by closing it and asked me if I was familiar with how FICO worked 😕 Oh no Mr Issac tell me how this works please 😂

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 7
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Personally I would close it. While you have No Fleas Fees and don't look back.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why?!?  Close That Card!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.