Did you mean: 

Getting in with Amex advice - Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting in with Amex advice

@Anonymous wrote:

@Blackswizz750 wrote:
Let time do it's thing. There will be other offers with any Amex card. They do like thin files. Keep paying in full and don't add retail cards.

Dang it, i made a post and it deleted it for me, gotta start over with all this typing, sleep deprivation and  Smiley Happy)) again, sorry if this is incoherent... finals week woohoo1

Is there like... a quantized amount for thin files? I've heard that Amex doesn't like thin files Chase does, and vic versa.  Luckily there's no negative marks on my report at the moment! And I also definitely agree on the waiting suggestion;  I mainly want a BCE or ED for this summer for music festivals, and i guess the regular BC is still available too. It's okay with me if I can't somehow pan it out though.  

Like I said earlier though - how much to wait? 3 months, 6 months? And sorry for the stupid question - but you said Amex likes to see paid in full.  Like, for instance, charging up $400 out of a $500 and, letting the balance report to the bureaus, then paying that immediately.  Orrrr, do you mean, just spending whatever on the card and continuously paying it back, leaving like $60 with a $1000 SL.

Also, edit to add: what about one of their charge cards rather than their revolvers?

A thin file could be 25 years old, it's more about the number of accounts. Having only two revolving accounts of 3 months old I would say wait 3 months at least before trying again. Sounds like you probably have a decent number of HP's as well. To help your scores, pay down to 1% before the statement cuts. Then PIF.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually only have 2 HPs on Experian Smiley Happy Chase FU is at 2% right now, planning on PIF when it cuts Sunday. 

That being said - is it just me, or is the prequalified offers page gone from the Amex website now?

I want to pull the trigger with my FICO score rn, but I think I can wait lol

Message 12 of 18
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

I also think that it's the income you report as well, anything under $18k is going to be hard to qualify especially for Amex.

Message 13 of 18
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

I was going to mention the insufficient or missing income.  I was wondering if that's what truly prompted the denial.  The reasons stated in your denial letter are the same as the factors shown on your credit reports?  The insufficient income isn't a reason listed on anyone's credit report.  

Your profile needs time, but it appears you are off to a good start.  I wouldn't apply until your "February" card is at least 6 months old, preferably a year.  Your credit is very new.

Good luck to you either way!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a minute since I opened this thread, but!!! here's some data points for whoever comes across this Smiley Happy

Bored at 6 am yesterday morning and checked their offers page... whaddya know, I was prequalified for the BCE and ED. ?!?!?! at this point I'm hyperventilating. Applied with EX 684 (score actually went down since I last posted, lol),  listed my income as $12k, and was approved for $1k SL Smiley Very Happy 

No idea how that happened... even got approved for a PRG right after. I'm still in shock. I guess they felt like being nice!

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's been a minute since I opened this thread, but!!! here's some data points for whoever comes across this Smiley Happy

Bored at 6 am yesterday morning and checked their offers page... whaddya know, I was prequalified for the BCE and ED. ?!?!?! at this point I'm hyperventilating. Applied with EX 684 (score actually went down since I last posted, lol),  listed my income as $12k, and was approved for $1k SL Smiley Very Happy 

No idea how that happened... even got approved for a PRG right after. I'm still in shock. I guess they felt like being nice!

Looks like your score is a bit higher now and a couple a more months history...Congrats...nice job!!

Message 16 of 18
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Should have tried for the 3X CLI. Might have gotten lucky there too.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:
Op- you don't have any prequals in reality, the CARD act prohibits prequels, etc for people under 21. You probably show some suggestions though, that's what CK usually would show..

More than likely, you need another 6 months of history or so for the Amex.. give it some time, and then apply a little bit down the road!

I am 18 and have pre-quals on Amex with fixed APR. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.