Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Discover IT From Invitation - After 3 Denials

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got Discover IT From Invitation - After 3 Denials

I applied from Discover following their prequal onsite in Sept 2015 (twice, forgot I'd applied), and again around Nov/Dec. That last time they told me they'd approve me if I got hubby to go "Joint" with me. I nearly fell for that, but then thought. Nope, I want credit in my own name only. So even though they sent reminder emails for a couple of weeks, I didn't bite.

Then they began the snail mail bombardment; first soley to hubby (he burned them for $20k in a BK during the global meltdown, with me as AU. No choice.) Week after week. Then one day, the letters started having my name on them. They packages would alternate like this - his name; my name - for months.

I wasn't biting. "Get ye behind me Discover! I know you're just trying to clog up my credit files with HPs before denying me!" 

During the last 2 weeks, hubby and I have been bidding out HVAC upgrade/replacements. We have the savings for it, but of course want to earn some rewards, and get the longest possible 0% purchase or BT we can just to leverage our options. Our preference is to charge the $10k+ to Citi AAdvantage for miles, then PIF or BT to a 0% card; thereby freeing up the Cit card for more mileage earned. But we'll need a CLI to about $20k (it's at the original $10k, charges from $2500 to $5,000 monthly, always PIF.)

I pulled out my most recent unexpired Discover invite (Hell yes I kept them all! I ain't crazy!) and decided it's best for me to take the HP hit rather than hubby. I put in the preliminary info, debated, then decided on 3 small BTs, hoping if approved, that would get them to offer a larger limit.)

The music went round and round...then it said, "we need to ask a few more questions..." I think they were, how long I'd owned the house, how long I'd been at my job, etc.

The hourglass spun again. Poof! 

LadyAng,

Congratulations, you've been approved!

...your card should arrive in 5-7 days.

To check your line of credit, click here.

I crossed my fingers, thinking "please be $8,000 or so, please, please, please..." I don't even know where I got that arbitrary number.

Your credit line is $13,500.

My FICO will take a hit for the HP and for lowering my AAOA. But my UT will also be cut in half from 18% to 9%. Hopefully, that will even things out. (My FICOs are currently about 720-730 across the board.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got Discover IT From Invitation - After 3 Denials

That is amazing!!! Discover wont touch me at all so you must be in their good graces especially with your credit score! Your score should go up comsidering you cut your usage in half.Congratulations again!

Message 2 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Wow that is a huge CL for Discover to give out.. I got approved for a 1k CL at 1% utilization at a 700ish FICO...  Maybe the BT did have something to do with such a large limit.. Who knows, but it worked out very well for you .. Congrats!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.
It took me 3 times also. Lol
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been 7 months and I got it on the 4th try.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on that nice approval!!!

Message 6 of 11
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats!!

Message 8 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats!! That is strange, they denied 3 times then turned around and approved for a high limit like that!!! Wow.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weird? Eh? Three times they were like "get outta here ya ugly stepchild! And hurry it up before we set the dogs on ya! Bye Felicia!"

And this time it's like "Hey Bey! Girl where you been hiding? We're trying to throw credit at ya."
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.