Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Discover it Student with limited credit

tag
GandalfTheGrey

Got Discover it Student with limited credit

Hi

I am an international student (moved to the US 6 months ago) and I applied for Chase Freedom because I had a checking a/c with them for about 6 months now but got rejected (recon didn't help either) :/ . I don't have a no credit history I guess and so I was hoping to build one. Some friends got a Citi Fwd/Dividend for students approved without much credit history when they opened checking a/c at Citi. And so I was wondering if it would be worth the hard pull? Is Discover student easier? If neither, what would be a better option? Getting a secured card is the last on my plate. (if it helps - I qualified for an Amex Corporate back in India from my work).

p.s. I am 22.

EDIT: My cousin has been here for the past 7 years and he has a good credit. Should i ask him to get a cc and make me an authorized user instead? Is that helpful in building my credit? Which is a better option?

EDIT2: Got Discover it with 1k CL! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply to Citi Dividend/Fwd Student Card? Rejected for Chase Freedom.

@GandalfTheGrey wrote:

Hi

I am an international student (moved to the US 6 months ago) and I applied for Chase Freedom because I had a checking a/c with them for about 6 months now but got rejected (recon didn't help either) :/ . I don't have a no credit history I guess and so I was hoping to build one. Some friends got a Citi Fwd/Dividend for students approved without much credit history when they opened checking a/c at Citi. And so I was wondering if it would be worth the hard pull? Is Discover student easier? If neither, what would be a better option? Getting a secured card is the last on my plate. (if it helps - I qualified for an Amex Corporate back in India from my work).

p.s. I am 22.

EDIT: My cousin has been here for the past 7 years and he has a good credit. Should i ask him to get a cc and make me an authorized user instead? Is that helpful in building my credit? Which is a better option?

I would try applying for an AMEX here considering you had one in India. If not, try going to a local credit union and applying for a card. Another ok card would be Cap One Card for Newcomers.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 2 of 7
GandalfTheGrey

Re: Should I apply to Citi Dividend/Fwd Student Card? Rejected for Chase Freedom.

Citi said my chances were less, so I applied to Discover it student card online and uploaded all my documents - on-campus employment, student loan (foreign) and student ID. I called the customer service and the analyst reviewed my application for a couple of minutes and approved me for a 1k CL. And the best part - Discover allows us to choose designs (some of which are nice). The last thing you need is an ugly cc. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Got Discover it Student with limited credit

@GandalfTheGrey wrote:

Hi

p.s. I am 22.

Congrats on your approval 

The Amex Corp will not help with approval in the US sorry 

Having someone add you as an AU will help as long as it's a positive account

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats & welcome to the Discover family Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Welcome to the forum and Discover family. Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 7
alvon123
Super Contributor

@GandalfTheGrey wrote:

Hi

p.s. I am 22.

EDIT2: Got Discover it with 1k CL! Smiley Happy

congrats

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.