cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my first approval!! BCE! What should be next for my goals?

tag
ArtVandelay
Established Member

Got my first approval!! BCE! What should be next for my goals?

Thanks for everyone for teaching me so much about the ins and outs of credit over the last few days! I recently got word after calling in that I am approved for the BCE AMEX! This is my first real credit card (I have had a Gold card for about a year and a half) so I'm very excited!

My original goal, even before this news, was to get a card or two now, and then just let it grow for at least a couple years, then step up to a big boy card like the CSP when I'm out of college and have some real income. Is this a good plan? I have no real need for more credit, as I have my gold card with NPSL, but I just want to get all my HPs out of the way now, and have my AAoA be high and not pulled down by another app in 6 months to a year.

So now that I have the BCE and the gold card, I was wondering what everyone thinks is the next best step for my current goals. My goal is just to set myself up with a score in the mid-to-high 700s by or shortly after I graduate college in just about 2 years, so I can easily get good auto-loans, and have no problem renting an apartment, and of course being able to get the better rewards cards like CSP eventually when I have more money to spend. Long term goals are obviously lower mortgage interest and maybe a small business loan in my future, but I'm more focused on 2-5 years from now. 

I've been considering the Chase Freedom, as well as Citi or Capital One cards, or one from WF. I had been toying with the idea of applying for student cards, as my income is right on the $12,000 border but is not salaried so obviously its subject to change, but now that I've gotten the BCE approval I guess I probably don't need to do student cards. Any recommendations?

Scores from Equifax 3-in-1 are in my signature, those were from before my approval, but after the HP had already shown in EX. As of this morning post approval, on AMEX Credit Secure its telling me 706 EX, 710 for EQ and TU, for reference.

Thanks everyone!

My Wallet:
AMEX Gold: NPSL 8/2011
AMEX BCE: $2k 3/2013
Amazon Visa: $400 3/2013

EQ (MyFICO): 691
EX (AMEX): 692
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
ArtVandelay
Established Member

Re: Got my first approval!! BCE! What should be next for my goals?

Just updating that I called back and was told the CL is $2k for the BCE. Not the greatest, but I guess for my first actual credit card, not too shabby. I think I'm decided on the Amazon Visa, but I think Chase pulls from EX too, and I just got this one for the BCE so I'm not sure if that's the greatest idea, but I would like to get all my apps out of the way now, so I can hit the garden for a while.

My Wallet:

Message 2 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 23
swpopham
Established Contributor

Eq usually
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 4 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Chase can pull TU and EX, and they like to see Amex on credit reports.

I think you should go for Chase Amazon to get your foot in the door.  and to have a Visa in your wallet in case the merchant doesnt take Amex

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 23
ArtVandelay
Established Member

@webhopper wrote:

Chase can pull TU and EX, and they like to see Amex on credit reports.

I think you should go for Chase Amazon to get your foot in the door.  and to have a Visa in your wallet in case the merchant doesnt take Amex

My Gold card will be on there for sure, I'm assuming the BCE wont be reporting yet considering I was just approved today. 

I think I'm pretty decided on the Amazon, I just wasn't sure if now is a good time or to wait until the BCE starts reporting.

My Wallet:

Message 6 of 23
enharu
Super Contributor

I would say just apply today! Best of luck.

Reasoning: chase is skeptical of extending new lines of credit if you recently just got one. They are worried that you might be desperate.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 23
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@ArtVandelay wrote:

Just updating that I called back and was told the CL is $2k for the BCE. Not the greatest, but I guess for my first actual credit card, not too shabby. I think I'm decided on the Amazon Visa, but I think Chase pulls from EX too, and I just got this one for the BCE so I'm not sure if that's the greatest idea, but I would like to get all my apps out of the way now, so I can hit the garden for a while.

With american express typically their credit lines grow very fast.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 23
flashevo
Regular Contributor

congrats on the approval

NFCU Flagship Sig (24.5k); NFCU CashRewards (24.5k); NFCU NavCheck (15k); Chase Sapphire Preferred (15k) ;Chase Marriott Rewards (14k);US Bank Flex Perks (9k); Barclays Rewards (8k); Chase Freedom (14k); BOA Travel Rewards Sig (20k); BOA Privileges with Cash Rewards Sig (9k); Discover IT (6.5k); Walmart Discover (3k); Wells Fargo Platinum (9.5k); Wells Fargo LOC (10k); Bloomingdales Amex (5k); Macy's Amex (5k); Paypal Extras Mastercard (6k); Bananna Republic Visa (5.5k); Lowes (6k); Sams Club Discover (5k)....In the garden since 8/15/13

Message 9 of 23
ArtVandelay
Established Member

Alright, I'm leaning towards just taking the leap today for the Amazon Visa! The BCE approval has got me feelin lucky.

My Wallet:

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.