cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my first approval!! BCE! What should be next for my goals?

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Got my first approval!! BCE! What should be next for my goals?

i would say go ahead before your BCE gets reported to the CRAs, else it's going to be a 4-6 month wait until you stand a high chance again.

When I applied for the Amazon Visa back in 2011, My experian score was just 679 and I got approved for 2000 initial CL.

It is a much easier card to get if you're not confident about your chances for the CSP or Freedom

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enharu wrote:

i would say go ahead before your BCE gets reported to the CRAs, else it's going to be a 4-6 month wait until you stand a high chance again.

When I applied for the Amazon Visa back in 2011, My experian score was just 679 and I got approved for 2000 initial CL.

It is a much easier card to get if you're not confident about your chances for the CSP or Freedom 

I'm farely confident about the Freedom, not so much about the CSP, I figure that'll be later. But to be honest, the Amazon makes more sense for me I think. I'm a college student, so Amazon purchases are frequent for textbooks (I have a Prime account), plus I eat out a lot.

Message 12 of 23
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 13 of 23
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@enharu wrote:

I'm farely confident about the Freedom, not so much about the CSP, I figure that'll be later. But to be honest, the Amazon makes more sense for me I think. I'm a college student, so Amazon purchases are frequent for textbooks (I have a Prime account), plus I eat out a lot.

You can always try to PC it later to another card if you ever decide you don't need the Amazon card also! 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 14 of 23
enharu
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If the Amazon visa makes a lot more sense, then go for the Amazon visa. Apply for what you need and you'll end up using that card most, which in turns benefits you most. 

I applied for an Amazon card because most of my purchases are on Amazon. I'm the typical person who showrooms at Best Buy only to buy at Amazon later.

If I am not wrong there's a quarter where you get 5% back for restaurants for Freedom, and Sept-Dec 5% for Amazon.

So it is really up to you which card you want.

When I applied for the Amazon visa, I greatly regretted it initally and kept trying to get a product change to Freedom. I was told I need to wait a year.

It's been almost 2 years now but I decided to keep the Amazon visa anyways because I realize I am buying a lot of stuff from Amazon each month, not just at the end of each year. The prices and most importantly customer service at Amazon is what always made me a loyal customer to them. 

You could get the Amazon visa now, and apply for a freedom few months down the road, and a CSP when you graduate. Who says you can't have all 3? Smiley Very Happy

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 23
Bobert22
Contributor

OP: I would wait until the BCE starts reporting because AMeX will backdate to when you opened the Gold card so it won't even look as a new account. It'll ultimately help your AAoA and not to mention your utilization (even if marginally).

I would wait. Good luck though, if you do decide to apply.
Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 16 of 23
fledgling

Congrats on the approval. I just got approved for the BCE today as well after holding the AMEX Green for one month. Just waiting for the card now.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enharu wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If the Amazon visa makes a lot more sense, then go for the Amazon visa. Apply for what you need and you'll end up using that card most, which in turns benefits you most. 

I applied for an Amazon card because most of my purchases are on Amazon. I'm the typical person who showrooms at Best Buy only to buy at Amazon later.

If I am not wrong there's a quarter where you get 5% back for restaurants for Freedom, and Sept-Dec 5% for Amazon.

So it is really up to you which card you want.

When I applied for the Amazon visa, I greatly regretted it initally and kept trying to get a product change to Freedom. I was told I need to wait a year.

It's been almost 2 years now but I decided to keep the Amazon visa anyways because I realize I am buying a lot of stuff from Amazon each month, not just at the end of each year. The prices and most importantly customer service at Amazon is what always made me a loyal customer to them. 

You could get the Amazon visa now, and apply for a freedom few months down the road, and a CSP when you graduate. Who says you can't have all 3? Smiley Very Happy

I do the same thing with you as far as checking in best buy and buying on Amazon! I was in the market for a TV and found a killer deal on a 47" LG 3D TV on Amazon (never considered 3D but this was so good to the point that I'd be stupid to spend maybe $50 less to not have 3D), so I went to Best Buy to check it out. It was awesome as expected, went home that night and overnighted it for $3.99 with my Amazon Prime.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was instantly approved for the Amazon Visa, which is nice, but the limit is $400???

This is the message I got: "Congratulations (ArtVandelay)! You have been approved for the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card with a temporary credit limit of $400.00."

Why does it say "temporary"? and why so darn low if they gave me instant approval?!

Message 19 of 23
enharu
Super Contributor

temporary maybe because its a probation period, and it goes up as you pay on time each month.

possibly because you never had any relationship (checking/savings/credit/money market/investment/loan, etc) with chase.

you could call recon to have it raised higher.

How much income did you put?

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.