Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my white whale (Amex Gold)

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Got my white whale (Amex Gold)

While on a cruise with limited Internet connectivity, I got an email on Wednesday (it was sent Tuesday) saying that I was approved for an Amex Gold. My application for that card is a long story. I'm not going to give every detail, but I'll do a short version. To put it mildly, I was surprised. I also got an email saying that Amex had pulled my credit again on Tuesday, heh. That is four or five Amex pulls of my credit in the last two months.

To explain a bit: I had FAKOs in the low 500s in March of this year. I realized this, after years of ignoring credit and paying everything with cash, because a new job strongly encouraged me to apply for a corporate Amex. I was approved, but with limits (such as $100 at retail stores) due to poor credit. It was embarrassing, and a splash of water in my face about my standing in the world of credit. For that and other reasons, I decided to focus on building good credit. But I was coming from nearly nothing at that time. I did have cash to support multiple secured cards, etc. Partly on purpose and partly accidentally, I went with a "thick build" concept, ultimately opening 11 new accounts in four months. It's a little weird, but it seems to have worked for me so far. See my signature for all the details. In the short term, though, it's made me look like a severe credit risk, so even though my scores aren't bad, I wouldn't expect to be approved for any "normal" card.

I applied via the Corporate Advantage Program, which gives annual statement credit and a better sign-up bonus. There is a theory that you are almost guaranteed approval for personal cards when applying via CAP. I really can't verify that's true, because of a series of unfortunate events with how I applied (long and confusing story). Last I heard, Amex was demanding access to my tax transcripts. I decided not to grant that, and just moved on with my life, assuming it would be a long time before I got an Amex personal card. Then, surprise, got the email on Wednesday.

I got back from my cruise on Friday night, and the card was waiting for me at the front door. My first and only metal card. I activated it and used it for some small purchases today. It's time to renew car insurance for six months, so that'll help me get the sign-up bonus.

I chatted with Amex today and asked if they could change "member since" to whatever year I got my old (long-gone) Green Card in the 1990s, and they agreed to do that.

This card was the ONLY specific card I wanted when I started my build/rebuild, and was sort of a goal I set to know I was on track. Along the way, I've gotten some other stuff I was surprised to get, but also have been denied more times than I can remember. Cardmatch suggests Fingerhut and nothing else for me. CK suggests Indigo and OpenSky. Amex, Citi, Cap1 preapprovals all say they have no matches for me. Which is ok because I don't need any more accounts this year. But now coming from my only "card" being a Visa debit card, a few months later, I have a signature Visa, Amex Gold and Discover secured in my wallet.

I feel like Phase 1 of my credit build is over and was more successful than I imagined it might be. Now time to join the garden club!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got my white whale (Amex Gold)

45-60 days later and you come home to a lump of metal at your doorstep!

1st - cold app

2nd - CAP app

I'm thinking maybe they SP'd you after getting the AU add?

I can't remember all of the details off the top of my head but, I'm happy you finally got your card and it's working.  

Message 2 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Congrats. The gold is also a goal card for me as I burned them with one years ago. Hopefully by the end of the year.

Message 3 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

CongratsSmiley Happy

But wouldnt this be your GOLD Whale?😄
Message 4 of 17
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on getting your goal card with AmEx!

Message 5 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!!https://i.imgur.com/bS0AjNI.gif

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, this is a goal card of mine as well! I’m approaching the 61 day mark with my 2 Amex cards now, so as soon as I hit that mark I am going to apply for the gold!
Message 7 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

You got your white whale while on a boat.... 🤔🤔 Sounds suspicious to me.

Lol congrats on getting your goal card! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 8 of 17
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

You got your white whale while on a boat.... 🤔🤔 Sounds suspicious to me.

Lol congrats on getting your goal card! 

Thanks! Being at sea probably subconsciously made "white whale" come to mind for me rather than other ways I could have worded it, but not intended. Smiley Happy

It was a great surprise - I actually went in a chat as soon as I could get online and asked an Amex rep if it was for real!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Very happy for you - keep up the good work.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.