Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

🌱 Growing credit for a brand new adult 🌱

tag
Hut1
Established Contributor

🌱 Growing credit for a brand new adult 🌱

Who here owns a new adult? 👉😬

The moment my man-child turned 18, we applied for a cc with NFCU. We opened a banking acct with them about 4 yrs prior to establish a relationship. 

They approved him for a $500 unsecured cash back card. In 6 months, they increased the limit to $1,000. We are now at the 1 yr mark and he just got an increase to $5K and they upgraded him to a Visa Signature while lowering his APR to 12%. 

He officially has an EX8 credit score now - 743. 🎉 

He has no idea cause he's in boot camp. So, here I sit.. opening his mail.. which I believe is a federal crime. 🤦‍♀️

download

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: 🌱 Growing credit for a brand new adult 🌱

Smiley Very Happy  That is HILARIOUS!!!!!   And awesome at the same time.  Congrats on laying that great foundation!

Message 2 of 16
mfinsmi1
Established Contributor

@Hut1 I wish my parents did this for me, I know when i have kids someday hopefully that I will do everything I can to set them up for financial succcess when they turn 18

Personal Cards (Over $100k):

Business Cards:

Rebuilding Starting Scores - December 2021

FICO SCORE 8/9 - Current 1/6/23

Stats: : 3/6; 8/12; 17/24 --- AAoA 3 YRS, 8 MO --- INQ: EX-6/TU-7/EQ-2
Message 3 of 16
Hut1
Established Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Smiley Very Happy  That is HILARIOUS!!!!!   And awesome at the same time.  Congrats on laying that great foundation!

It would be great if he knew what an accomplishment this is and how many actual adults are fighting to get there. I'm also sure he'll erase all of my hardwork with stupidity, but he's young... he can bounce back. Smiley Very Happy

In fact, I just found out boot camp has been extended 2 weeks to teach financial responsibility which is clearly very needed. I need an "I told you so" moment to hold over his big goofy head. lol

download

Message 4 of 16
Hut1
Established Contributor

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

@Hut1 I wish my parents did this for me, I know when i have kids someday hopefully that I will do everything I can to set them up for financial succcess when they turn 18

Saaaammmeeee!!! I didn't even own a credit card until my late 30's. I can also say I didn't learn about debt until my late 30's. Smiley LOL #fail

download

Message 5 of 16
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Its an awesome thing to do for them.  We had ours  (21, 20, 18) as AU's for at least 4 years before they turned 18.  Now they've got their own cards/accounts but so far it seems they take it seriously.  The Mrs and I have a standing threat to their safety if they even think about screwing it up.  Good job.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 16
Hut1
Established Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Its an awesome thing to do for them.  We had ours  (21, 20, 18) as AU's for at least 4 years before they turned 18.  Now they've got their own cards/accounts but so far it seems they take it seriously.  The Mrs and I have a standing threat to their safety if they even think about screwing it up.  Good job.  Smiley Wink

Oh, man. I thought I was the only parent that threatens bodily harm. Smiley LOL

download

Message 7 of 16
805orbust
Valued Contributor

@Hut1 wrote:

@Hut1  oh no... there's 2 of us!  🤣  A little fear never hurt them, me on the other hand?  🤣

Message 8 of 16
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on DS NFCU success!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 9 of 16
nytokyobred79
Valued Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

@Hut1 wrote:

@Hut1  oh no... there's 2 of us!  🤣  A little fear never hurt them, me on the other hand?  🤣

Ya'll are a hoot. I did get the fear speeches and still managed to muck it up from 18-22. I thought I knew any and everything those years. Wish I knew at 18 what I now know at 43. They shoulda been scarier 😂😂 with me. 

Avoided credit cards after ruining my financial health but got back into the game in 2019 after a 20 year hiatus
Total Revolving CL- $204,500 | Order of Opened Cards
Delta SkyMiles Blue- SL-$1K | CL- $22.6K
(pc'd from SkyMiles Platinum back to Blue)
Delta SkyMiles Reserve- SL- $10K | CL- $20K
Chase Sapphire Reserve- SL $20K | CL- $39K
Cap 1 Venture Rewards- SL $10K | CL $ 19.5K
Amex Everyday Preferred- SL $13.1K | CL $10K ( moved some limits around )
Chase Freedom Unlimited: SL $23.4K| CL $36.8K
BOA Unlimited Cash SL: $20.8K| CL $10.8K(moved some limits around)
BOA Travel Rewards SL: $20.8K | CL $5.8K(moved some limits around)
Amex Blue Cash Everyday SL: $10K
Amex Green Card: NPSL / POT: 17K
BOA BankAmericard: SL: $5K | CL: $30K
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.