Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP for NFCU membership?

tag
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

HP for NFCU membership?

I want to join NFCU because I think it will benefit me in the future, for now I just want a savings account and then later when my credit is better mabe apply for credit.  Will they do a HP just for joining?

Equifax: 676 (myfico) Experian: 683(myfico) TransUnion: 689 (Barclays)

Current Goal: 700
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: HP for NFCU membership?

Yes, always yes. They HP for everything and each new product.

Get checking and savings when joining or they will HP for it later if you add.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 30
Jess21
Frequent Contributor

That sucks!  they do EQ right?  now idk if I want to join now Smiley Sad

Equifax: 676 (myfico) Experian: 683(myfico) TransUnion: 689 (Barclays)

Current Goal: 700
Message 3 of 30
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:
Yes, always yes. They HP for everything and each new product.

Get checking and savings when joining or they will HP for it later if you add.

I just cross referenced all of the opening dates of my recent accounts at NFCU. MMSA, another savings, another checking. No hard pulls. They only pull if you apply for credit and when you open your membership.

Edit: They do not HP for any non credit products, with the exception being your membership application.

Message 4 of 30
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Yes, they will pull TU for membership and EQ for apps.  Each app will be a new pull, however, once a member you can open checking/savings/money market accounts without additional pulls.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 5 of 30
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

Yes, they will pull TU for membership and EQ for apps.  Each app will be a new pull, however, once a member you can open checking/savings/money market accounts without additional pulls.

I can assure you 100% that what you are stating is not a Navy Federal policy. If it happened to you, I would call and address it with them

Message 6 of 30
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

Are you saying that there will be 3 HP's when you open a membership account and include a checking a savings. Or are you saying once you are a member, they will HP you when you open additional accounts? 

I"m not denying any credit you apply for, whether it's at the time of the application or after will be an additional hard pull. I referring to checking and savings accounts, which were referred to earlier in this convo

Message 7 of 30
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

One hard pull for joining to establish initial account.

Additional hard pull for each credit product, CCs, NavChek, auto, etc...

No pull to open an checking account if you're already a member.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 30
creditFiend
Established Contributor

To OP
NFCU HP TU for me upon joining. I opened a savings & checking in February. One month later I app'd for NavCheck. A few weeks ago I received an invitation by mail to app the Cash Rewards. Both, NavCheck & cc app was HP on EQ.
If you are rebuilding, I say go for it, it's worth it. I was hesitant to app the Cash Rewards due to recent card approvals, four in the past months. @Creditaddict gave me the push to app, & I'm glad for it.
DH was recently approved for a Cash Rewards ($5,000) with EQ of 595. His utility was 10% at the time he app'd. GL!
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 9 of 30
JKSIMMONS
Regular Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

One hard pull for joining to establish initial account.

Additional hard pull for each credit product, CCs, NavChek, auto, etc...

No pull to open an checking account if you're already a member.

^this

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.