Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highly confused on Cap 1 QS Siggy Visa approval

tag
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

Highly confused on Cap 1 QS Siggy Visa approval

I decided to app over the weekend for the QS Siggy Visa since I was stuck with my current limits on my existing old Cap 1 QS (listed as "platinum" MC on website) and my Plat MC that were my 1st 2 cards post BK in 2005.  I was instantly approved BUT.....only for $5K!!!   Smiley Mad WTH?!?!   With my current scores over 700 across the board, util around 23% AND I have a RBFCU MC/ AMEX with SL of $15K/$25K and income of 100K I thought with all the approvals I've seen lately I would surely get at least $10K!  I just don't get Cap 1.  I called yesterday to a rep to request a CL recon (in their terms a manual review) and she also offered to send it up to upper mgmt , I told her I wanted $15K SL but would accept less.  Has anyone ever done this with Cap 1 before with any success??

Oh, and once I finished apping I decided to request yet another CLI on my existing cards (both with $0 bal) just for grins, and lo and behold I get a $2K increase on the QS but nada on the platinum.  I plan to combine these cards as soon as my cash on my QS posts to my acct so I can at least have 1 card with a decent limit from them.

Just not happy overall that I burned a 3 HP on a $5K limit card.

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Highly confused on Cap 1 QS Siggy Visa approval

@FroggieMom wrote:

I decided to app over the weekend for the QS Siggy Visa since I was stuck with my current limits on my existing old Cap 1 QS (listed as "platinum" MC on website) and my Plat MC that were my 1st 2 cards post BK in 2005.  I was instantly approved BUT.....only for $5K!!!   Smiley Mad WTH?!?!   With my current scores over 700 across the board, util around 23% AND I have a RBFCU MC/ AMEX with SL of $15K/$25K and income of 100K I thought with all the approvals I've seen lately I would surely get at least $10K!  I just don't get Cap 1.  I called yesterday to a rep to request a recon (in their terms a manual review) and she also offered to send it up to upper mgmt , I told her I wanted $15K SL but would accept less.  Has anyone ever done this with Cap 1 before with any success??

Oh, and once I finished apping I decided to request yet another CLI on my existing cards (both with $0 bal) just for grins, and lo and behold I get a $2K increase on the QS but nada on the platinum.  I plan to combine these cards as soon as my cash on my QS posts to my acct so I can at least have 1 card with a decent limit from them.

I'm sorry for your recent experience with your new QS account.

It's well-known around here that if you are interested in a more generous limit, you will want to apply for the Venture.  Folks have been known to apply for a Venture and QS Visa in the same day and get an approval for $10k or $15k on the Venture and $5k on the Quicksilver.  If you apply for and are approved for the Venture, you can almost always have it PC'd to a Quicksilver later on (before the first AF is due).

Regarding your Quicksilver MasterCard displaying as 'Platinum' on the Capital One website, mine does as well.  Any card that's not 'World', 'World Elite', or 'Signature' will generally show up as 'Platinum', since that's the MC/V 'level' of the account.  This isn't to be confused with the Capital One 'Platinum' MasterCard, which is Capital One's own branding for a particular product they offer.  (Since the same terminology is used it gets confusing at times).

Good luck with your CLI request and the manual review... those have been known to turn out well for some folks.  Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 15
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I had a Plat turned QS that has never received a CLI. Applied for the Venture and received $20K.

Message 3 of 15
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

Uncle B ~~ Yeah, I knew I probably should have app'd for the Venture as well at the same time, but since the 2 for 1 is a YMMV I was afraid I'd be one of the unlucky few that got 2 HP.  Plus, I'm just not that interested in the Venture, I have a Delta AMEX and my platinum MC that give me miles. I like the cashback of the QS that I'll lose once I combine it with my platinum.  Oh well, live and learn... hoping the manual review/escalation to mgmt gets me at least a bit more SL, but if not I'll use it during the 0% period and then sock drawer it.  

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 4 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@FroggieMom wrote:

Uncle B ~~ Yeah, I knew I probably should have app'd for the Venture as well at the same time, but since the 2 for 1 is a YMMV I was afraid I'd be one of the unlucky few that got 2 HP.  Plus, I'm just not that interested in the Venture, I have a Delta AMEX and my platinum MC that give me miles. I like the cashback of the QS that I'll lose once I combine it with my platinum.  Oh well, live and learn... hoping the manual review/escalation to mgmt gets me at least a bit more SL, but if not I'll use it during the 0% period and then sock drawer it.  

I agree that the 2-for-1 is YMMV, but just for the future be aware that the Venture "miles" are actually 2% cash back; you just have to redeem against travel purchases (or gift cards) to get the entire 2% value. 

I think Capital One markets the card that way to get in on the 'travel card' phenomena that's popular these days... LOL  Smiley Wink

Keep us posted on your manual review... my fingers are crossed for you! 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apped for Venture instead of QS Visa purely for higher SL potential. I have zero need for a travel card. After meeting spend bonus it was PC'd to QS Visa.

GL with review.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Appleman wrote:

I had a Plat turned QS that has never received a CLI. Applied for the Venture and received $20K.

Yep, this is a pretty typical experience with Cap One.

Message 7 of 15
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

2 for 1 ???  Wouldn't that be 2 for 3 if you're lucky or 2 for 6 if not?

I am sooo glad to finally be rid of Cap 1.

Message 8 of 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Sorry you burned 3 HP's. I have not experienced this with them, and am soon to not only get an increase but look for another card. This is interesting info.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 15
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@FroggieMom wrote:

I decided to app over the weekend for the QS Siggy Visa since I was stuck with my current limits on my existing old Cap 1 QS (listed as "platinum" MC on website) and my Plat MC that were my 1st 2 cards post BK in 2005.  I was instantly approved BUT.....only for $5K!!!   Smiley Mad WTH?!?!   With my current scores over 700 across the board, util around 23% AND I have a RBFCU MC/ AMEX with SL of $15K/$25K and income of 100K I thought with all the approvals I've seen lately I would surely get at least $10K!  I just don't get Cap 1.  I called yesterday to a rep to request a CL recon (in their terms a manual review) and she also offered to send it up to upper mgmt , I told her I wanted $15K SL but would accept less.  Has anyone ever done this with Cap 1 before with any success??

I hear ya Froggy, but it is still a Quality card with no forex fees and 0% APR.  Many hear told me that the QS gave lower opening CL's. so I apped for the Venture One instead. QS is a better card though.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.