Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hilton Ascend Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hilton Ascend Approval

@UncleB wrote:

'... the only way to know for sure is to go for it and see what happens!  Smiley Wink

Right you are. I went for it -- Hilton Honors Ascend. The extra 50K points in SUB alone (125k vs. 75k on HH), even at .6 conversion, seemed worth the $95 annual fee. If I morph into a more serious world traveler I can always upgrade. Or downgrade, should my more dominant reclusive tendencies grab hold.

But not much love from Amex: 1K (sigh)

But I decided. It's done. It's something. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Hilton Ascend Approval

Ill ping @UncleB for you, so he can see thisSmiley Happy

@Anonymous , Congrats on your approval! At least it wasnt a denial, and it has the potential to growSmiley Happy

Message 2 of 18
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

1K seems to be the standard newish SL these days. It's not a bad place to be really, with CLI's it will be up in the teens soon enough. Congrats on the card.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 3 of 18
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

'... the only way to know for sure is to go for it and see what happens!  Smiley Wink

Right you are. I went for it -- Hilton Honors Ascend. The extra 50K points in SUB alone, even at .6 conversion, seemed worth the $95 annual fee. If I morph into a more serious world traveler I can always upgrade. Or downgrade, should my more dominant recluse tendencies grab hold.

Congrats. I am with you in the 1K club with AMEXSmiley Happy Finally after 6 + months ( no CLIs), I applied and got two cards with a 2K limit, I am moving up in the world, I then moved 1K off new card onto other new card to get that at 3K. Alot of work for that 3K limit lol

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 18
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

My first Amex was also a Hilton Ascend at $1K, and that was with no baddies or BK’s or burning them. Just 9 months later, my exposure with them is more than $30K. I’m sure with some patience, you’ll be looking at a much higher limit soon.

[2/2019]
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ascend is a decent card for $95.
Hilton Gold status has value and you get some Priority Pass access.
Not sure whether there is minimum credit limit for the Aspire.
If you do upgrade keep in mind that currently the airline credit is per calendar year not cardmember year.
So November 2021 would be a good time to upgrade if upgrade to Aspire is available and desired.

Edit: intended to type November 2020 not 2021.

January 2020 is the earliest that you can upgrade.

Towards the end of the 2020 you would get full travel credit with prorated annual fee.

Of course check rules as of that time.

Message 6 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the approval, @Anonymous!  screamer.gif

Don't worry about the credit line... as you know, with a little nurturing Amex cards can grow fast!  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Right you are. I went for it -- Hilton Honors Ascend. The extra 50K points in SUB alone, even at .6 conversion, seemed worth the $95 annual fee. If I morph into a more serious world traveler I can always upgrade. Or downgrade, should my more dominant recluse tendencies grab hold.

Congrats dude, I'm thinking of getting the card myself.  AMEX is pretty good at CLI so I wouldn't worry about the slow start

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great comments across the board -- thank you all.

@Jnbmom I remember your frustration with Amex & the subsequent "I'm gonna cancel my card" thread. Seems we're on a similar path. 

@jdbkiang I'd love to see an accounting of how to turn 1k into 30k in 9 months. Wow! Give up the details please.

Message 9 of 18
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great comments across the board -- thank you all.

@Jnbmom I remember your frustration with Amex & the subsequent "I'm gonna cancel my card" thread. Seems we're on a similar path. 

@jdbkiang I'd love to see an accounting of how to turn 1k into 30k in 9 months. Wow! Give up the details please.

I think it was just a matter of waiting for Amex to warm up to me. At the time I got my $1K SL with them, I'd already maxed out my exposure with Chase at about $50K, so I was fairly certain that they'd eventually grow more generous with me. 

About 65 days from receiving the Ascend, I went for the famed Amex 3x CLI and was given a $3K CL. The next month, I applied for their BBP, and was approved for $4K. Then in September, I went for their Gold card just before it was revamped to nab the $0 first year AF. This was actually denied the first time, but was approved after recon. In early November, I applied for the no-AF Hilton and was approved for $3.6K. At this point, I felt like I was approaching my limit with them, simply because of the fact that they gave me a non-rounded CL, haha. Nevertheless, I applied for the Hilton Aspire just a week later and was surprised to see that they instantly approved me for a $10K limit. I then remembered, not too long later, that it had been 181 days since my last CLI, so I requested an CLI for my Aspire to $20K and was also instantly approved. I didn't want to go the full 3x on that one, because I feel doing so would get too close to maxing out my exposure with them, and there are still one or two cards I'd like to get with Amex. 

Also, not sure if it matters, but somewhere in there, I did check my pay over time limit on the Gold card and saw that I was approved for $35K on that card as well. It probably helped me feel more comfortable in applying for the Aspire, but I have no DP's to actually support that it helps your approval odds.

Additionally, outside of the first Ascend card, all other cards were pre-approved and SP'ed. Looking back, I probably could have been more cautious and patient throughout the process, but fortunately, I didn't suffer from my quick trigger. 

[2/2019]
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.