Re: Hilton Ascend Approval

Congrats on your Hilton Ascend card approval! Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdbkiang wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great comments across the board -- thank you all.

@Jnbmom I remember your frustration with Amex & the subsequent "I'm gonna cancel my card" thread. Seems we're on a similar path. 

@jdbkiang I'd love to see an accounting of how to turn 1k into 30k in 9 months. Wow! Give up the details please.

I think it was just a matter of waiting for Amex to warm up to me. At the time I got my $1K SL with them, I'd already maxed out my exposure with Chase at about $50K, so I was fairly certain that they'd eventually grow more generous with me. 

About 65 days from receiving the Ascend, I went for the famed Amex 3x CLI and was given a $3K CL. The next month, I applied for their BBP, and was approved for $4K. Then in September, I went for their Gold card just before it was revamped to nab the $0 first year AF. This was actually denied the first time, but was approved after recon. In early November, I applied for the no-AF Hilton and was approved for $3.6K. At this point, I felt like I was approaching my limit with them, simply because of the fact that they gave me a non-rounded CL, haha. Nevertheless, I applied for the Hilton Aspire just a week later and was surprised to see that they instantly approved me for a $10K limit. I then remembered, not too long later, that it had been 181 days since my last CLI, so I requested an CLI for my Aspire to $20K and was also instantly approved. I didn't want to go the full 3x on that one, because I feel doing so would get too close to maxing out my exposure with them, and there are still one or two cards I'd like to get with Amex. 

Also, not sure if it matters, but somewhere in there, I did check my pay over time limit on the Gold card and saw that I was approved for $35K on that card as well. It probably helped me feel more comfortable in applying for the Aspire, but I have no DP's to actually support that it helps your approval odds.

Additionally, outside of the first Ascend card, all other cards were pre-approved and SP'ed. Looking back, I probably could have been more cautious and patient throughout the process, but fortunately, I didn't suffer from my quick trigger. 

Great story. Thank you. 

Questions:

* How do you make use of 3 Hilton cards?

* Will you combine them at some point? 

* Does the 5 card limit (looks like you're maxed out) not include charge cards?

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval and Welcome to Amex family !!!

Message 13 of 18
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the Hilton addition!

Message 14 of 18
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 15 of 18
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Great comments across the board -- thank you all.

@Jnbmom I remember your frustration with Amex & the subsequent "I'm gonna cancel my card" thread. Seems we're on a similar path. 

@jdbkiang I'd love to see an accounting of how to turn 1k into 30k in 9 months. Wow! Give up the details please.

I think it was just a matter of waiting for Amex to warm up to me. At the time I got my $1K SL with them, I'd already maxed out my exposure with Chase at about $50K, so I was fairly certain that they'd eventually grow more generous with me. 

About 65 days from receiving the Ascend, I went for the famed Amex 3x CLI and was given a $3K CL. The next month, I applied for their BBP, and was approved for $4K. Then in September, I went for their Gold card just before it was revamped to nab the $0 first year AF. This was actually denied the first time, but was approved after recon. In early November, I applied for the no-AF Hilton and was approved for $3.6K. At this point, I felt like I was approaching my limit with them, simply because of the fact that they gave me a non-rounded CL, haha. Nevertheless, I applied for the Hilton Aspire just a week later and was surprised to see that they instantly approved me for a $10K limit. I then remembered, not too long later, that it had been 181 days since my last CLI, so I requested an CLI for my Aspire to $20K and was also instantly approved. I didn't want to go the full 3x on that one, because I feel doing so would get too close to maxing out my exposure with them, and there are still one or two cards I'd like to get with Amex. 

Also, not sure if it matters, but somewhere in there, I did check my pay over time limit on the Gold card and saw that I was approved for $35K on that card as well. It probably helped me feel more comfortable in applying for the Aspire, but I have no DP's to actually support that it helps your approval odds.

Additionally, outside of the first Ascend card, all other cards were pre-approved and SP'ed. Looking back, I probably could have been more cautious and patient throughout the process, but fortunately, I didn't suffer from my quick trigger. 

Great story. Thank you. 

Questions:

* How do you make use of 3 Hilton cards?

* Will you combine them at some point? 

* Does the 5 card limit (looks like you're maxed out) not include charge cards?

1. The Ascend and Aspire don't overlap too much. Basically, I use the Aspire for travel and dining, and the Aspire for gas and groceries. I am considering and probably should have gotten the Hilton Business instead of the regular Hilton card for everyday usage, as the business categories wouldn't overlap as much. However, the no-AF Hilton was showing a bonus of 100K for just $1K spend, which, to me, was just too easy and had no AF, so there was no reason not to get it. The Ascend is nice for the gas and groceries also, but I'll have to sit down and double check if it's worth the $95 AF. The main benefits are Gold Status (Free breakfast) and the 10-visit Priority Pass. Of course, with the Aspire, neither of those are worth much anymore, so I may downgrade it to another no-AF Hilton in month 13. 

2. The Ascend is nice for the gas and groceries also, but I'll have to sit down and double check if it's worth the $95 AF. The main benefits are Gold Status (Free breakfast) and the 10-visit Priority Pass. Of course, with the Aspire, neither of those are worth much anymore, so I may downgrade it to another no-AF Hilton in month 13. At this point, honestly, once I start applying for my 6th Amex revolver, I know Amex will probably give me the option to close one of my existing accounts with them in order to go over their 5-card limit, so I'll simply have them close the Ascend and then go from there.

3. The 5-card limit does not include charge cards, but does include business cards. That puts me at 4 revolvers. 

[2/2019]
Message 16 of 18
Repairman
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approval. Is this your 1st AMEX?
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Repairman wrote:
Congrats on your approval. Is this your 1st AMEX?

Thank you. Second card (1K BCE) on this second go-round with Amex.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.