cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit Amex 3x CLI button after midnight EST... too early! Then a spree.

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Hit Amex 3x CLI button after midnight EST... too early! Then a spree.

I guess i haven't learned my lesson.

I was antsy to juice my $2k delta limit and requested the online bump to 6k but denied with the 60d message.  I then called in and a CSR said that he could manually do it for me but the subsequent email also denied me due to the 60d waiting limit.   It looks like Amex takes apps based on MST?

Anyway, felt emboldened and tossed in apps for the following:   

SPG (pending, says to check the site in 24hrs)

CSP (Told to call them immediately about my app--hopefully i can recon)

Citi Executive AAdvantage World EliteTM MasterCard with the 100,000 -- no instant approval. under review.

Delta miles seem so useless at this point. Their tickets are 30-50% more expensive than AA so hopefully i am approved and the $200 credit can buffer the $450 fee.

So i went on a bit of a premature spree. Let's see what happens.   I have trips coming up in the latter part of the year and need some additional card bonuses and mile-boosting cards.

EX FAKO 730

Amex PRG (3-4k spend per month, 3 months), Delta ($0.5k spend/m), BofA and Cap One ($500 each)

Have about 8 months of US credit history and low $100k's income.

Hopefully some of the above yields a return, else, if Chase and Citi deny me I hope this spree (2 HPs) doesn't jeopardize my request for delta 3x CLI in 90d.

Both my EX and TU have 4 inq's and i have TU frozen.   Hoping the big boys can work off Experian only. I don't want them multi-pulling.   

Should I unfreeze TU?  Is it risky for approvals to have one frozen? (i don't have an EQ file)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Hit Amex 3x CLI button after midnight EST... too early! Then a spree.

Thanks for sharing, keep us updated on your results!   Very interested in the outcome, we're pulling for ya!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 32
PointLager
Established Contributor

I checked my Citi link for status and now it's saying to call in. Their center opens at 8 AM EST. Hopefully I can get something on the board before they start pulling in the Am (although I imagine they would have pulled the moment I submitted my online app?).

Message 3 of 32
PointLager
Established Contributor

I need to have a backup plan for recon phone calls.   Maybe Chase counters with a lower tier card since I don't yet have a full year of US credit history or another $5k limit card.  (I pulled the trigger a day too early on my 2k delta 3x CLI)

I've read that on recon they often counter with Freedom. Maybe i can pick up another travel card instead?

Same thing with Citi.   A lower tier card is better than none?  As long as there isn't an AF that doesn't justify the signup bonus.   

Message 4 of 32
enharu
Super Contributor

you do NOT have to wait 90 days to request CLI again for your Amex.

Source: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/td-p/1811071

If you jumped the gun before the 60 days/6 months rule, the reason for denial is considered ineligibility. If that is the case you can reapply after the original and correct 60day/6month timeline. You do not have to wait an additional 90 days, so the clock doesn't get reset. If you were eligible and got denied due to other factors, then you are ineligible to reapply for another 90 days since the denial date.  

Chase will not counter you with a lower tier card.
If you are not approved for the CSP, then you walk away with a denial. They will not offer you the Freedom as a counter-offer. You will need to apply for it separately.

Since Chase is asking you to call them, I am guessing it may be either due to ID verification, or that they will want you to unfreeze TU. So there's a chance it might be a double / triple pull for you. It happens quite a bit with Chase and Amex, especially for people with short or bad credit history.

As for Citi, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. A lot of the AA executive apps had to undergo manual review, so I am guessing this is somewhat normal for that product.

Edit: Citi now also has a 1 app per 60 days policy (according to thepointsguy). If I remember correctly, it used to be 2 apps per 60 days, but I guess they changed it. Before you submit any additional Citi apps, it's best to find out more about the actual application limit. if by any chance you had already reached the limit, Citi is known to pull inquiry / inquiries even though it is a guaranteed denial. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 32
PointLager
Established Contributor

Thanks @enharu

Looks like both Citi and Chase HP-ed my EX report.  No SP or HP from Amex for that SPG app i placed.

Would you unfreeze TU before calling, just in case? or see why they want me to call?

Message 6 of 32
enharu
Super Contributor

@PointLager wrote:

@Anonymous @enharu

Looks like both Citi and Chase HP-ed my EX report.  No SP or HP from Amex for that SPG app i placed.

Would you unfreeze TU before calling, just in case? or see why they want me to call?

Amex will use their most recent SP. 

If approved, you will get an additional HP. Most likely they just need to manually review your SPG app. Just give it a couple days to a week.

If I were you, I would just call to find out about the status of the app. If they require you to unfreeze, then you can do so right away. No point paying the money just to unfreeze it now if they don't even need you to do so.

I also edited my previous post about Citi's application limit. I am not too sure on what the exact limits are right now, so hopefully others can chime in. If you plan to submit another Citi app, it's best to find out about that before you do so as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 32
PointLager
Established Contributor

hanks for the tip on the 3x Amex!

I just tried the online CL request for 3x to $6k and it worked!  Now too bad that Chase/Citi won't get to see this. 

and btw, my 8 month long credit file EX FAKO dropped from 730 to 720 from the 2 HPs.   (I wonder what the FICO would be.  When i got the Amex fico was 719 per amex vs 730 FAKO)

Message 8 of 32
PointLager
Established Contributor

i am not going to bother with another citi app for now.

i mainly wanted to jump on the 100k miles offer.  If I can get CSP/SPG now then I am happy to garden until Oct/Nov when i would app for Amex Plat to grab the $200x2 airline spend on the cusp of the calendar year.

i would like to switch to AA from delta.  Delta flights seem to always be more expensive than AA (almost always) and either same or more than UA

Message 9 of 32
PointLager
Established Contributor

and that is great if amex uses my most recent SP to adjudicate the SGP and then basically mark the report with a HP more so for future creditors' sake rather than to aid in SGP approval?

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.