Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holy Crap! :-0 CL increase on DISCOVER: $49,500

tag
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Holy Crap! :-0 CL increase on DISCOVER: $49,500

That is a spectacular Disco limit! Congrats!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 11 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

as another poster pointed out, your profile says it all.

Congrats!

Message 12 of 22
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the huge CL @Aim_High! Discover is just itching to get your luv! Most folks get the good good from Discover and some of us get the stink eye -- I'm the latter Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread is a great reference for the fact that heavy spend on Discover is not required for frequent or large CLIs.  The OP stated that the card was used insignificantly over the course of the last 12 months.   

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done!

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very nice, congratulations!

Your title makes it sound like they gave you a $49,500 CLI but $5K is huge too. Smiley Very Happy
Message 16 of 22
Aim_High
Super Contributor

"...This thread is a great reference for the fact that heavy spend on Discover is not required for frequent or large CLIs.  The OP stated that the card was used insignificantly over the course of the last 12 months."

That's a good point!

Just to clarify, I have used it regularly over the past year (usually at least several times a month) for smaller purchases like fast food, etc.  I just haven't put large spend on it, like thousands of dollars, in awhile. 

I should mention that several years ago, when I was paying off some debt, I used Discover among others for BT offers.  My credit line was much lower and I was using a large portion of my available credit at that time, so they have had some high balances on me in the past.  (I believe over $14K was highest balance at that time.)  I have also used it in the past at times for some heavier spending.

Insignificant use is different to different people.  In the past 12 months, my highest usage month was $303 and the lowest was $0 in April, right before I asked for the increase since I was putting spend on a different account.  Still, they approved the increase!

By the way, the card I carry right now is the Discover it CHROME (pays 2% on restaurants and gas).  I can do better than 2% on food but I have used it some just to keep it current since it is my oldest active account.  I previously had a legacy Discovercard, which under the 1990's program didn't even pay a true 1% under the graduated program towards the full 1% payout.  (Still, it was an industry leader at the time.)  I hate the rotating categories concept so didn't relish having the regular "IT" card.  However, I am debating converting my Chrome to an IT or a MILES card.  (The Miles pays 1.5 miles per dollar, no AF.)

My monthly charges in order for past 12 months were:

April $0

March $16

February $72

January $64

December $303

November $180

October $79

September $218

August $69

July $9

June $50

May $295

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 17 of 22
slither43
Regular Contributor

Thanks for adding all the extra spending DP's!

Message 18 of 22
calyx
Super Contributor

Nicely done - congrats!

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 19 of 22
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@

"... Your title makes it sound like they gave you a $49,500 CLI but $5K is huge too. Smiley Very Happy"

LOL ... I suppose it did!  Yes, 49.5 in one CLI would truly be HUGE but I'm happy with that total limit right now.  Higher than I ever thought it would grow.
I've learned that I not only need to have low debt and good credit to get higher limits, but it usually pays to ask and be persistent if you're not putting high spending through every month.  (If you are, then the lender may actually initiate the increase, from my understanding.)

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.