Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Depot CL increase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Home Depot CL increase

I did an online increase request and received the "we'll get back to you" notice.  The account is about a year old, never missed a payment.  Out of the 13 payments made, 8 were for more than 2x the amount requested and 1x paid in full at $600.00.  Not a great record, but not horrible either.  They sent an email notice to contact them after about a week and so I did.  Their representative was super cordial and asked a few questions relative to income, how long on my job, and the mortgage.  No real surprises with any of the questions.  I had asked for an increase to $15K, from $1K.  The rep went off the line for a few minutes then said he could not authorize the entire request but could do $5K, if I would accept it.  I accepted and moved on.  Maybe next time.  My goal for this account was $10K in 2016, so maybe that goal moves to 2017.  I'll be okay. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Home Depot CL increase

Citi will do a hard pull everytime they "access" your account for a CLI, however they tend to kind of run with Lowes IMO. I have a $30k Lowes Account and opened a HD a little over year ago, opending limit was $5k, asked for an increase on activation they bumped it to $10k at 6 months I asked for $20k and it was granted, at 12 months I asked for $30k to match my Lowes and got some "resistance" (was asked to call) so I canceled the request which they granted. (Hard Pull every time)

Note that I have hardly used this account, but I'm trying to build up Lowes and HD for when I retire in a couple of years to refurb the house for sale and I figure that'll be $40-$50k or so "invested" until the house sells in 2-3 months tops. The logic here is that I have equity in my home, but it could use kitchen/bathrooms/flooring updates to sell quickly and for top dollar - I'll probably end up with the same "cash out" but it'll sell quickly rather than "when ever". 

The point is to open a Lowes account then use that leverage to get nice CLI's from both HD and Lowes - BOTH offer long tern low or 0% financing so if managed correctly the high APR's that come with these accounts don't matter. I purchased a $650 mower from HD at 0% and will pay it off at 5 months on the 6 month "free" terms. I also had a new roof put on the house ($9600) with Lowes on a 84 month $5.99% APR project deal. 

Probably more information than you were looking for, but HD will grow nicely over the first couple of years in my experience (Lowes too).

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I did an online increase request and received the "we'll get back to you" notice.  The account is about a year old, never missed a payment.  Out of the 13 payments made, 8 were for more than 2x the amount requested and 1x paid in full at $600.00.  Not a great record, but not horrible either.  They sent an email notice to contact them after about a week and so I did.  Their representative was super cordial and asked a few questions relative to income, how long on my job, and the mortgage.  No real surprises with any of the questions.  I had asked for an increase to $15K, from $1K.  The rep went off the line for a few minutes then said he could not authorize the entire request but could do $5K, if I would accept it.  I accepted and moved on.  Maybe next time.  My goal for this account was $10K in 2016, so maybe that goal moves to 2017.  I'll be okay. 

Congratulations to you!...Thanks for sharing.Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you  !!!!

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 4 of 6
Indycoltsfan
Regular Contributor

Why do you say it's not a great record?    Congratulations on the increase!!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pipeguy

What were your EQ scores (HD pulls EQ I've researched) at the different points with them?

I have the full credit limit max on the Lowe's store card at $35,000 and wouldn't want a Home Depot card unless the starting credit limit was at a minimum $20K-$25K.

My EQ score would be 750+ and a 6-figure income.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.