Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often to request CLI on discover - Update: CLI Approved

tag
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

How often to request CLI on discover - Update: CLI Approved

I got a CLI for 4k on my Discover in early October. The credit score card on their site has not updated since October either, but my TU score is a good bit higher both from the last CLI and the initial application, thanks to TU's early exclusion policy. I was thinking of requesting another CLI to bring down my utilization on some balances I'm carrying at the moment that has 0% interest.

Does anyone know how often you can request one from Discover? I don't want to push my luck as they were nice enough to give me a decent limit from the start on this card. Are there any downsides to requesting a CLI and not getting it?

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your CLI approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How often to request CLI on discover

There is no time limit with Discover, I hit the button once every 30ish days. I don't see a downside with a denial, if it's available they will give it to you, if not just try again next month. From my experience they seem to come in 3's with long droughts in between.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've received 4,000 every 3 statements so far.
Message 3 of 12
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I pushed it and they gave me another 1500. That gets me below 8.9% utilization so that is good enough.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 4 of 12
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Re: How often to request CLI on discover - Update: CLI Approved

Congratulations on your CLI!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats on that increase!! I've always thought of Discover as a every 3 months type thing for hitting the button. But in the time I have had them, I have not asked every 3 months (stupid me lol). Heck, I think my last try was late Spring.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grats!

Reading your thread tempted me to try again this statement and had some luck too!  So, TY.  lol

Message 7 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the CLI! I would definitely look into DD (double dip). Call customer service and see what else they can offer (Disco is known to leave some credit on the table).

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the CLI!!

I just requested a CLI on my IT card and they only gave me $500 thru the website. Could this be due to carrying a higher balance on that card? It's 0% APR until December 2019.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call them now and try to double dip, tell CSR you were expecting more and if there is more available, sometimes you will get lucky and double up. If they offer to HP in order to grant more, tell them no thanks.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.